PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dummie needs help with i-pod and ripping techniques

belerice
January 19th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Hello to the forum and before I start thank you for your patience and time.
I have been using ubuntu for about a month and I was extremely delighted to find it so easy to use for a computer dummie as I am. However, when I am the one to work out how to make things running I always end up balder and with no success. I have been fighting (reading previous answers and downloading any possible software) on how to make my computer recognize my 4th generation i-pod with no luck and on how to rip cd's to mp3 with the same result. Anyone out there with enough courage to try, step by step, to help me? I am also sorry to inform you that I do not understand any word of the computers jargon.

1st. Regarding my i-pod I tried to use 2 different programs the Hippo and now the gtkpod, at the beginning the icon on the desktop was just a usb port icon and i managed to convert it to an ipod icon (don't ask how because I do not remember). Nevertheless, the program does not read the i pod. When i open directly the icon on the desktop there are several numbered folders with the songs with no order at all. I read on the forums that usually the problems are when the ipod was first configured on a mac but mine was on a pc.

2nd. About ripping a cd I just want the easiest program to rip some of my jazz collection with an acceptable quality to mp3 files (the ones my i-pod can play). I tried several programs, rubyripper was difficult to manage for me because I couldn't quite understand the interface so I used asunder which worked perfectly but the files were on ogg. I looked on the forums and it seems I have to download the
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse_0.10.3-2_i386.deb

which I tried but this message appeared: Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: liblame0 (>= 3.96.1-1) No need to say that I don't understand the meaning.

That is overall what I can tell you about both problems I face, if you need more information please ask and if i am not too dummie i will try to supply it to you.

jada
January 19th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Bump

ron999
January 20th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Hi
About the CD ripping first.
Ruby Ripper's OK, but the one that comes built in to Ubuntu is sound-juicer, it's simple to use.
But you need to enable and install the codecs first.
Look in Synaptic Package Manager for 'ubuntu-restricted-extras'.
That will istall the codecs and some other useful odds and ends.

sgosnell
January 20th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Sound juicer will do the job, with less overhead. You'll have to install a lot of unnecessary stuff just to get one Ruby app to run.

As for the iPod, I have no idea. I don't own one and don't ever intend to. You might try a Google search and see what comes up.