PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Issues with 64-bit machines

AmpersUK
January 18th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Hi all,

PREAMBLE
I am the voluntary editor a community newspaper and we use PagePlus X4 (v14) to put the newspaper to bed. I am trying to persuade everyone to go over to Scribus, but it will take time. And even then I will need Windows to play poker on Full-Tilt, PKR and PokerStars until their Java based programs work in Wine properly.

PRESENT SET-UP
At present I have a dual boot 32-bit computer, dual booting Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7. In addition to this, having discovered VirtualBox (I use the version from Sun's website) I have loaded Windows 7 as a guest It is all working very satisfactory.

PROPOSED SET-UP
Over the next few weeks I will take delivery of a quad-core 64-bit computer with 12 gigs of RAM

QUESTION ONE
Are there any issues loading up Windows 7 as a guest in VirtualBox on a 64-bit machine that I should be aware of, or will it all load up if I do everything exactly the same way?

QUESTION TWO
How can I delete the Windows 7 operating system and no longer dual boot on my 32-bit machine?

QUESTION THREE
Is it possible to have a second guest as I would like to get to know Kubuntu?

Thanks for any help,

Ampers

pirateghost
January 18th, 2010, 05:32 PM
with virtualbox, you can have as many Virtual Machines as your physical machine can handle (RAM, CPU, harddrive space)

there are very few issues with 64bit these days. all my servers are running 64bit, as well as all my desktops and laptops...i have not used 32bit in years

AmpersUK
January 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Just need question two answered now.

Ampers

AmpersUK
January 18th, 2010, 06:02 PM
with virtualbox, you can have as many Virtual Machines as your physical machine can handle (RAM, CPU, harddrive space)

there are very few issues with 64bit these days. all my servers are running 64bit, as well as all my desktops and laptops...i have not used 32bit in years

Wow! That was fast!

Thanks for this, it is a load off my mind. Just about to place my system order now.

Ampers

tgalati4
January 18th, 2010, 07:43 PM
"All In"