PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screencasting

nishant.singh28
January 18th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I've tried everything that has been said about screencasting in Ubuntu all over-forums, blogs etc. I have tried a lot of different programs to record my desktop- recordmydesktop with both the gtk and qt frontends. I've tried Istanbul but it simply crashes the system. Whenever I try to record, the system becomes extremely slow. Compiz benchmark shows that the system fps comes down from a normal average of 98 to just 21. And the screencast recorded is barely 3-4 fps. I have a 15.6" laptop display at 1366x768 resolution on an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 with 512 MB graphics memory. I've tried recording at lower fps or resolution but it makes no difference. This probem occurs only while recording my own machine. When I record a Virtual machine, it works fine. What should I do?
P.S.-I'm a little new to Ubuntu so please....:)

lidex
January 18th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Do you have desktop effects enabled and, if so, tried disabling that first?

nishant.singh28
January 18th, 2010, 12:41 PM
If I disable them, what do I record???? That exactly is what I'm trying to record. My desktop effects. :D The desktop cube, wobbly windows, burning windows, etc.

lidex
January 18th, 2010, 03:26 PM
If I disable them, what do I record???? That exactly is what I'm trying to record. My desktop effects. :D The desktop cube, wobbly windows, burning windows, etc.

It's a troubleshooting step!! Never know if you don't try.

nishant.singh28
January 18th, 2010, 03:44 PM
No difference.

AutoStatic
January 18th, 2010, 03:49 PM
See also: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=937837

Ok, it's not of any help for you right now but people should start filing bugreports, apparently recordMyDesktop doesn't work properly.