PDA

View Full Version : Localisation issue with ubuntuzilla

el cameleon
January 15th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Hi,
I have install ubuntuzilla repository as indicated in the documentation and have download the en-US version of Firefox. Then I install the french package in order to have it translated in my language. Unfortunately, there are a few other things that should be localized and that are not present into the french package like:
- search engine list
- dictionary
- profil manager windows (it is still in english, I don't know why)

So I think that it would really be better if the repository allow to download the native version of Firefox, Thunderbird,... instead of downloading the US version and then try to make it seems like a french version.

nanotube
January 15th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Hi,
I have install ubuntuzilla repository as indicated in the documentation and have download the en-US version of Firefox. Then I install the french package in order to have it translated in my language. Unfortunately, there are a few other things that should be localized and that are not present into the french package like:
- search engine list
- dictionary
- profil manager windows (it is still in english, I don't know why)

So I think that it would really be better if the repository allow to download the native version of Firefox, Thunderbird,... instead of downloading the US version and then try to make it seems like a french version.

Hi

indeed, there are some bits left off the .xpi...

but i'm just not going to do this for all the 80-some languages that firefox comes in.

el cameleon
January 16th, 2010, 10:04 AM
but i'm just not going to do this for all the 80-some languages that firefox comes in.
Hi understand your problem ;-) I think that was something that the script can do which is no more possible with the repository :-(

nanotube
January 17th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Hi understand your problem ;-) I think that was something that the script can do which is no more possible with the repository :-(

yes, i understand - it's a rather unfortunate side effect...

however, you can install your favorite localized search engine manually with an addon (search addons.mozilla.org for 'google french' e.g.)

and you can install spelling dictionaries with an addon too (search addons.mozilla.org for 'french dictionary', e.g., or pick one out of this list of dicts: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3 )

so all things considered, i think it's not worth it for me to deal with 1g of extra firefox packages. :/