PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Mixxx cannot access the sound device

jocampo
January 15th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I am trying to use a BoseŽ SoundLink wireless music system (you connect the system via USB dongle) with mixxx 1.7.0 The Bose system works perfectly with any other audio player, but mixxx refuses to use Bose as "master" and main sound output. Instead, I'm getting this error

Mixxx cannot access the sound device 1 ... Another application is using the sound device or it is not plugged in.
Retry after closing the other application or reconnecting the sound device
Reconfigure Mixxx to use another sound device.

It is obvious that the device is busy some way but why and how can I "kill" the other process.

To explain more in detail why I'm using the Bose or how it works, is simple: the dongle uses the internal audio card and "transports" the sound and information via wireless to the Bose speaker.

Thanks in advance,

PS: I've noticed that on my other partition, with Ubuntu Jaunty, I can use OSS and it works on mixxx, but not with ALSA. On Ubuntu Studio Karmic, does not work at all on mixxx, even with OSS.

thorgal
January 15th, 2010, 06:39 AM
user "fuser":

for hw:1 :

fuser -v /dev/snd/pcmC1*

it will display the process ID and name of the app that has a grip on your device. You can then kill it.

jocampo
January 15th, 2010, 04:18 PM
user "fuser":

for hw:1 :

fuser -v /dev/snd/pcmC1*

it will display the process ID and name of the app that has a grip on your device. You can then kill it.

I think I tried already? let me check again maybe I killed the wrong process.

Thanks for reply

jocampo
January 16th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Here's fuse output:

jocampo@studio:~$ fuser -v /dev/snd/*
USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/snd/controlC0: jocampo 2629 F.... pulseaudio
/dev/snd/controlC1: jocampo 2629 F.... pulseaudio
jocampo 3536 F.... jackd
/dev/snd/pcmC1D0p: jocampo 3536 F...m jackd
/dev/snd/seq: jocampo 2999 F.... qjackctl.bin
jocampo 3536 F.... jackd
jocampo 3550 F.... mixxx
jocampo@studio:~$

It looks (someone correct me if I'm wrong) 2629 or pulseaudio is using that resource too so I can not set master output on mixxx, to start using BOSE output via Jack.

After killing pulseaudio, stop and restart Jack and Mixxx, the problem persists and now fuse's output changed to:

jocampo@studio:~$ fuser -v /dev/snd/*
USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/snd/controlC0: jocampo 3903 F.... pulseaudio
/dev/snd/controlC1: jocampo 3935 F.... jackd
/dev/snd/pcmC1D0p: jocampo 3935 F...m jackd
/dev/snd/seq: jocampo 2999 F.... qjackctl.bin
jocampo 3935 F.... jackd
jocampo 3949 F.... mixxx
jocampo@studio:~$

Now it looks like C1 is not shared but mixxx continues saying "can not open device"

any other suggestion?

AutoStatic
January 16th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Create a $HOME/.pulse/client.conf file with the line autospawn = no and try killing Pulseaudio again.

jocampo
January 17th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Create a $HOME/.pulse/client.conf file with the line autospawn = no and try killing Pulseaudio again.

Thanks but no luck.

Here's the fuse output just before open mixxx and after I started Jack with the Bose device

jocampo@studio:~/.pulse$ fuser -v /dev/snd/*
USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/snd/controlC1: jocampo 5747 F.... jackd
/dev/snd/pcmC1D0p: jocampo 5747 F...m jackd
/dev/snd/seq: jocampo 4935 F.... qjackctl.bin
jocampo 5747 F.... jackd
jocampo@studio:~/.pulse$

it should work, C1 is used by Jack only, but still gives an error (please see screenshoot). I decided to test with audacious and had no issues at all; it worked! I was able to play the mp3 file with audacious and set output to Jack (via Bose)

thorgal
January 17th, 2010, 12:46 AM
mmmm, looks to me that you did not set up mixxx to use jack ... sounds like a dumb statement but better check the obvious.

jocampo
January 17th, 2010, 02:10 AM
mmmm, looks to me that you did not set up mixxx to use jack ... sounds like a dumb statement but better check the obvious.

Yes I did :-) .. it works when I use the laptop's speakers and UCA202 with my headphones.

But I think I fixed the problem ;-) .. although, I do not fully understand why or the technical reason. I decided to open mixxx via console and saw some sample rate errors. I changed to 48000 (on mixxx) and now it works; it opens my Bose audio device and I can use mixxx using Bose as master and the UCA202 for my headphones, both via Jack.

But why 44100 sample rate does not work on mixxx when choosing Bose as master? hmmm...

scathdesolas
May 23rd, 2010, 10:22 AM
I had the same problem. Said it was in use. Couldn't configure anything. This fixed my issue with Mixxx. Just changing to 48000. Weird and strange I tried everything too. I have the Nvidia nForce2. intel8x0m.

Just trying to help :popcorn:

sgx
May 24th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I had the same problem. Said it was in use. Couldn't configure anything. This fixed my issue with Mixxx. Just changing to 48000. Weird and strange I tried everything too. I have the Nvidia nForce2. intel8x0m.

Just trying to help :popcorn:
Confirmations are important. Computers are good at math,
and don't cut me any slack for my lack of math skills :)

lzap
July 28th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Was because your sound card expect 48000. I know Behringer UCA needs that.