PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fan issues

2blue
January 13th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I am trying to figure out why my Fujitsu Siemens L1310G is have issues with cooling fan.

It seams Ubuntu doesn't make it start often enough. Is there an applet or package that can handle this separtely? For a while I thought the fan might need replacement but after a thorough disassembly and cleaning it seems to run just fine.

However when I boot my machine the fan automatically goes on full and then shots off. No matter how hot my laptop gets it's very slow to react. I have to reboot the machine and then after the second booting fan turns on high and stays on. In XP it runs more frequently, and more gradually shifts from off, low to full.

Any thoughts on this issue are very much appreciated.

Daveth
January 14th, 2010, 12:09 AM
this any help?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/451337

2blue
January 14th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Hmm, maybe if I understood what it says there :oops: I have to do some serious reading. I'm always hoping next update will fix the bugs.

2blue
January 14th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Nasty bugs like this, aren't they usually fixed by doing the updates? If fan doesn't work properly then Ubuntu ruins a machine that would have been much better off with Windows or perhaps a different Linux distro.

mörgæs
January 14th, 2010, 05:11 PM
You could try an older kernel in 9.10 (if you are using this) or an older Ubuntu.

2blue
January 14th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the tip, it might help. On this particular laptop it is first time with Ubuntu and Karmic, previously pure Windows. I have had Ubuntu on an old Packard Bell and a newer HP with less issues than on this Fujitsu Amilo.

I am having trouble with mounting and reading DVD's (I have all thinkable medibuntu packages) , fan is acting up, things turn very slow before a second booting, and then get's a bit better. Still I have CPU issues and things get slow.

I might go back to Windows. If fan issues are a common, it is a very nasty bug. It's so expensive replacing ruined parts. I would happily pay an expert to take a look at this, I like Ubuntu in many ways.

mörgæs
January 14th, 2010, 06:42 PM
You shouldn't be punishing yourself like that :-)

Does this help?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1372890