PDA

View Full Version : Linux Eclipse C++ programming - darn defaults - help needed

akvino
January 13th, 2010, 04:58 PM
OK, tell me please where in Eclipse on linux (Running Fedora11) do I tell Eclipse how to find "using namespace std;"

I selected New Project/ C++ / and added the file numberFile.cpp to test the Eclipse.. Funny thing is - I don't have any problem doing it from command line...

So here is what I got and here are the errors:

#include <iostream.h>
using namespace std;

void main(){
cout << "Hello World";

}

Here is the error:
Description Resource Path Location Type
‘::main’ must return ‘int’ numberFile.cpp Number Files line 4 C/C++ Problem
make: *** [numberFile.o] Error 1 Number Files line 0 C/C++ Problem

Queue29
January 13th, 2010, 05:35 PM
it's:

int main()
{
return 0;
}

akvino
January 13th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Sure I fixed that but the problem lays in linking namespace std;

Here is what I have now:

#include <iostream.h>
using namespace std;

int main(){
cout << "Hello World";
return 0;

}

and I still get:
Description Resource Path Location Type
make: *** [numberFile.o] Error 1 Number Files line 0 C/C++ Problem

Same script from the command line works by invoking g++:
@linux2 ~]$ cat numCmdTest.cpp
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main(){
cout << "Hello World";
return 0;
}

See that I have <iostream> instead of <iostream.h> in eclipse....
I think I need to tell Eclipse where to find these files or something...

dwhitney67
January 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Toss out the book that you are referencing; it is ancient.

Try

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout << "Hello World." << endl;
return 0;
}

The return value of 0 is not necessary; C++ defaults to returning 0. But I show it above for 'educational' purposes.

P.S. Make sure that your file is saved with a C++ filename extension: .cpp, .C, .cc
Then ensure that Eclipse (what a POS!) is invoking 'g++' when it compiles/links your app.

akvino
January 13th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Toss out the book that you are referencing; it is ancient.

Try

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout << "Hello World." << endl;
return 0;
}

The return value of 0 is not necessary; C++ defaults to returning 0. But I show it above for 'educational' purposes.

P.S. Make sure that your file is saved with a C++ filename extension: .cpp, .C, .cc
Then ensure that Eclipse (what a POS!) is invoking 'g++' when it compiles/links your app.

I am all ears for the alternative POS options...

Tell me please how do I tell Eclipse (which I realize is more complicated than it's worth) to invoke g++ when I'm doing c++.
Command line - I have no problems, but need some IDE for better project management...

dwhitney67
January 13th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I only used Eclipse for a project I supported last year, and only then, for a brief period.

When I became more comfortable with the project, I developed my own Makefiles to build the source code, thus divorcing myself once and for all from Eclipse. The other folks on the project continued to use Eclipse.

Anyhow, from what I can remember, there is a section of options (associated with the particular project) where you can configure the compiler to use; for some projects, plain ol' 'g++' is used, in other projects it could be a compiler for a non-native system.

As for my current assignment, I am content to say that I use 'vim' and the command line for all development tasks.

...but need some IDE for better project management...
This is a myth. Project mgmt begins with people, not the tools.

akvino
January 14th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I only used Eclipse for a project I supported last year, and only then, for a brief period.

When I became more comfortable with the project, I developed my own Makefiles to build the source code, thus divorcing myself once and for all from Eclipse. The other folks on the project continued to use Eclipse.

Anyhow, from what I can remember, there is a section of options (associated with the particular project) where you can configure the compiler to use; for some projects, plain ol' 'g++' is used, in other projects it could be a compiler for a non-native system.

As for my current assignment, I am content to say that I use 'vim' and the command line for all development tasks.

This is a myth. Project mgmt begins with people, not the tools.

I got Eclipse to work...

Where is $OBJS defined, where is $uSER_OBJS defined, I don't get makefile..
I understand linkers but what does makefile do? This is my makefile:

# Add inputs and outputs from these tool invocations to the build variables

# All Target
all: numbers

# Tool invocations
numbers: $(OBJS) $(USER_OBJS)
@echo 'Building target: $@'
@echo 'Invoking: GCC C++ Linker'
g++ -o"numbers" $(OBJS) $(USER_OBJS) $(LIBS)
@echo 'Finished building target: $@'
@echo ' '

# Other Targets
clean:
-$(RM) $(OBJS)$(C++_DEPS)$(C_DEPS)$(CC_DEPS)$(CPP_DEPS)$( EXECUTABLES)$(CXX_DEPS)$(C_UPPER_DEPS) numbers
-@echo ' '

.PHONY: all clean dependents
.SECONDARY:

-include ../makefile.targets

akvino
January 14th, 2010, 09:52 PM
bump

dwhitney67
January 14th, 2010, 11:41 PM
bump

What does this file contain?

../makefile.targets

OBJS is the list of your object files, which is generally put together by examining the names of your source files. For example, and this may not exactly apply to your Makefile (in fact, I know it doesn't), but if you have a file called HelloWorld.cpp, the Makefile definition for OBJS will substitute the pattern .cpp with .o.

When I put together Makefiles, my definition of OBJS is something like:

OBJS := $(patsubst %.cpp,$(OBJDIR)/%.o,$(SRCS))

If your plan is to continue using Eclipse, then these matters are really of no consequence to you. IDEs are great for keeping developers in the dark.