PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] reformat using ubuntu server CD pls help

Fibernet
January 13th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Im using ubuntu server 64 bit. I don't know how to reformat the hard disk using the CD

konqueror7
January 13th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Im using ubuntu server 64 bit. I don't know how to reformat the hard disk using the CD

hello and welcome to the forums, you may want to take a look at this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition).:D

JBAlaska
January 13th, 2010, 09:05 AM
System, Administration, open Gparted. right click on the partition and format to your desired filesystem.

Edit: I missed the "Server" part of your post lol.

I beleive the cli version of Gparted is called this way in a term;

parted

Or you can do this in a terminal;

mkfs -t extX /dev/hdxX where xX is the Harddrive and partition you want to format, and extX is the filesystem you want to use, ext3 or ext4 etc.

bolucpap
January 13th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I think that by saying he is using the server version, he has no desktop environment, so he needs a howto that doesn't involve choosing from menus or clicking options, just my opinion

Fibernet
January 13th, 2010, 09:10 AM
thank you so much mmwwaahhh

konqueror7
January 13th, 2010, 09:24 AM
haha,,,didn't read the server part also, haha,,,i apologize, but there you go...

prshah
January 13th, 2010, 06:19 PM

I suggest you use cfdisk, rather than parted. It is semi-gui, suitable for console. Parted is rather command-line like; it's better if you are comfortable with it, otherwise not advisable.

Please use sudo with the cfdisk command
sudo cfdisk You can optionally also specify a device to handle, eg /dev/sda

For formatting your partition, please use mkfs as suggested. You can leave out the "type" option (-t) as mkfs will automatically detect the type and load the appropriate mkfs (eg mkfs.ext3, mkfs.vfat, etc)