PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where is ubuntu.img to make bootable flash drive from Mac, but installing over WinXP?

at0micgirl
January 13th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Apologies if this thread exists, but I've researched for over an hour, including reading the pocketbook guide, and I'm not finding anything (plus I have a two year old to get back to!)...

(Note: I'm a fairly decent-level user, spent my first year of college teaching myself Unix BSD 5 on Aix workstations, but away from college, didn't have access to this anymore, so it's been awhile.)

Anyhow, I have two computers - the nice little mac mini (using OS X 10.4.11) I'm using right now, and a crappy Dell laptop with only 512Mb RAM and a copy of WinXP that has been hacked and needs to be wiped.

So I figured as long as I need to start over, I'd give Ubuntu a try! (Lucky me, I got the data off the drive!)

My problem is: I was following the instructions to make a bootable flash drive (Under the Mac OS X heading), (which I followed them up to step 7.) when I realized that it said that these instructions ONLY work for a .img file, not an .iso file!

I've looked everywhere and I'm not coming across this. Can someone please direct me to a download of ubuntu.img?

Or, is there any chance that it will work with an .ISO file? (please tell me so!)

So far, I downloaded the default 32-bit ver. of Ubuntu 9.10 and followed the instructions from here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

Believe me, I really wish I could just burn a CD, but we've been having weird problems with our burner (or software?) lately - burned discs always end up with random read errors, even on a borrowed "working" burner. And since the Dell (an Inspiron 2200) is capable of booting from USB according to BIOS, I was hoping to just run with that.

At this point, I've left the USB flash drive attached to my mac, but it's unmounted right now. I also need to know what, if anything, special I need to do to overwrite the .iso file that has been transferred on the USB stick. If I eject it via terminal (i.e. step 8.) and reload it, will it try to boot on my mac? Can I just open it and delete the data in OSX and start over once I have the .img file?

Thanks so much for all your help! Looking forward to learning more about Ubuntu!

Peace,
Carrie Anne

mbzn
January 13th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Try this page:
http://software.informer.com/getfree-mac-programs-that-convert-iso-to-img/

Hope it helps