PDA

View Full Version : Convert binary to text

DBQ
January 13th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Hi everybody. I have a file in binary format (e.g. 1's and 0's). Somewhere in that file, in the binary format, there is encoded a string which I want to search for. I need to convert the file to text. How may I do that? I want that string to be converted from binary to ASCII.

Also, if you know of other ways without converting the file, I would love to hear them too. Help is appreciated.

ssam
January 13th, 2010, 11:00 AM
there is a command called strings that will show you all the bits of ascii in a binary file.

strings fileanme

baizon
January 13th, 2010, 11:00 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_file
I hope i understand your question right.
This is how a binary file look like. You need a tool to convert from a binary file to a source code file. Then you can try to search for "strings".
You can search without converting the binary file (to a source code file) and search there for ASCII, thats the easy way :)

worseisworser
January 13th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Hi everybody. I have a file in binary format (e.g. 1's and 0's). Somewhere in that file, in the binary format, there is encoded a string which I want to search for. I need to convert the file to text. How may I do that? I want that string to be converted from binary to ASCII.

Also, if you know of other ways without converting the file, I would love to hear them too. Help is appreciated.

How one would go about this depends entirely upon the binary format used. I.e., there is no general answer to this question.

edit: Uh, or am I missing something here; why not just open for reading in "text mode" and read+search? Or you could convert the search token to binary first, then search for that in the opened-in-binary-mode file.

DBQ
January 13th, 2010, 07:28 PM
What I mean is this: suppose the program has written a string "hello world" to the file using write/fwrite. How can I retrieve this string in text format in a file?

lisati
January 13th, 2010, 07:30 PM
What I mean is this: suppose the program has written a string "hello world" to the file using write/fwrite. How can I retrieve this string in text format in a file?

Maybe something like this:
strings {filename} > strings.txt

DBQ
January 13th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I tried this, and it does not work. Any other ideas?

lisati
January 13th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Usually when I've been curious about the strings in a binary file an approach like "strings {filename}" has been adequate.

I'm beginning to wonder if a disassembler (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disassembler) or decompiler (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompiler) might be in order, or would that be overkill? Perhaps some kind of hex-based editor with search facilities or a debugger might be better....

edit: I just remembered, one of the magazines buried in a box in a spare room has a listing for dumping the contents of a file in hex but I don't have the patience to look at the moment. Shouldn't be too hard to write one.

DBQ
January 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I am trying hex right now, but so far no luck

MindSz
January 14th, 2010, 01:28 PM
This is a small program that converts a binary file to ascii, but it looks for integers, so if you want to look for text you need to modify it.

#include <stdlib.h>
#include<stdio.h>

int integers[8192*4]; //4096*2*bytes_por_int
int i;

FILE *archivo;
FILE *salida;

int main(){

archivo = fopen("bin_in.txt","r");
salida = fopen("ascii_out.txt","w");

for (i = 0; i<8192; i=i+4096)
fread(integers, 1, 4096, archivo);

for (i = 0; i<8192; i++){