PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Still no sound on my stystem

Lakeside
January 13th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I tried some time back and then just gave up and put up with no sound on here..but I want to hear the videos I host on my website so, I'm back. I did read all kinds of guides and follow advice before, so I am a little frustrated. I am running Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex, server edition. Anyone with patience to 'walk me through this' again? I would be very grateful! thanks.

HappyFeet
January 13th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Can't you just pop in a sounblaster live card or something? It sounds like a compatibilty issue.

Lakeside
January 13th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Ah, could be. I forget how to check to see what card is in here, I used to know. This computer was built for me about 3 years ago, and I thought it had a pretty good sound card, but maybe it's broken now. So the soundblaster live card is good for Ubuntu systems? or what is it? thanks very much.

chkneater
March 2nd, 2010, 07:38 AM
First thing, open synaptic and install "sysinfo". It will tell you a lot about your hardware automatically. Second, check the ALSA website to see which soundcards are / aren't compatible and see if yours is listed and what kind to look for if you want to replace it. Using the server edition may also have something to do with it. Ibex has had sound problems, I upgraded to 9.04, otherwise I would still be using it.