PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop doesn't work at all after 2 days with ubuntu install

kanazky
January 13th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Hello ubuntu,

I just decided the other day to fresh install Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop an Asus G1. Everything worked great up until yesterday when a little pop-up came up saying "Restricted Hardware" and to install Nvidia 185 (Recommended). After completing the installation I restarted my computer and it worked fine, and I went to change my resolution, that is when I clicked Save to Xorg.config (on my Nvidia settings and a pop up came up saying "Cannot Parse X11/Xorg.conf" and my laptop froze.

I restarted my computer and now when it boots the colors are messed, and it has a resolution to long for the laptop screen, when it gets past the bios boot, all I see is black background with light green rectangles everywhere and a thing that says:

grub>
grub_rescue>

I've tried booting with the ubuntu cd, the resolutions not correct and if I click install ubuntu it loads for a sec then all I see is white and black and fuzzy bars all over the screen and I've left it for an hour nothing changes.

Next I tried booting with a GParted CD, I can get to the Dos looking part, and I just press enter (bottom inch or two cut off) and it goes into GUI Mode, but all i see is fuzzy colored lines and I never see the GParted GUI.

What can I do, its a relatively new laptop and I cant even come close to affording a new one and I am in university!

k3lt01
January 13th, 2010, 02:13 AM
ATM the only thing I can think of is trying to get the LiveCD working so you can try to repair whatever you broke.

I also think your Thread title is a bit misleading, its not as though you installed Ubuntu 2 days ago and the laptop hasn't worked at all but that is what the title leads me to believe.

halitech
January 13th, 2010, 02:16 AM
can you boot into Single User Mode (I think correct name) and run xfix? Hit ESC when you see the loading Grub message to get the single user mode

you won't need to buy a new laptop, at worse all you'll need to do is reload the OS

k3lt01
January 13th, 2010, 03:08 AM
you won't need to buy a new laptop, at worse all you'll need to do is reload the OSCould have even had that done by now.

halitech
January 13th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Could have even had that done by now.

true but hopefully won't be needed