PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Firefox for Linux not supported

Desert Sailor
January 13th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Intuit is a Microsoft lap dog. I am trying to help my daughter with some work with her company using Quick Books On Line. I tried to log on and got an error message saying I had to use Windows Explorer 6 or higher or Firefox for Windows version 3.0 or higher.

Is there a work around for this, so I don't have to restart to the Windows virus? What's so damn special that Firefox for Linux can't be supported?

JackRock
January 13th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I did some research on their site, and it seems even the FF in Windows is in "beta", not production...but it can be used. It seems ActiveX controls need to be installed/used, so that may be the problem.

studmf
January 13th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Intuit is a Microsoft lap dog. I am trying to help my daughter with some work with her company using Quick Books On Line. I tried to log on and got an error message saying I had to use Windows Explorer 6 or higher or Firefox for Windows version 3.0 or higher.

Is there a work around for this, so I don't have to restart to the Windows virus? What's so damn special that Firefox for Linux can't be supported?

You could install Safari using wine.....see Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gft8t7lwTTI&feature=response_watch)
Also you could install Virtualbox and install windows as the guest OS

SteveHillier
January 13th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I had a similar situation recently when I needed to run a DVR camera monitoring system on a PC.
The DVR software needed some active X elements that were not available for FF so I could only run this in IE7 or IE8.
You may have a similar problem.

katie-xx
I have a similar situation with our office firepass system.
I cant remote in with Linux as an active X control needs to be installed.
Quite common I believe.
Kate

Sir Jasper
Hi,

Firefox (all versions) for Windows work in Wine. With Wine installed the portable version of say, 3.5.7 could be downloaded from PortableApps http://portableapps.com/ (see top right) and installed into say, your Home directory.

If you need IE6 (for Wine) as well, or instead of FF, it is available in Wine-Doors and also works very well in Wine.

My regards

studmf
January 13th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Hi,

Firefox (all versions) for Windows work in Wine. With Wine installed the portable version of say, 3.5.7 could be downloaded from PortableApps http://portableapps.com/ (see top right) and installed into say, your Home directory.

If you need IE6 (for Wine) as well, or instead of FF, it is available in Wine-Doors and also works very well in Wine.

My regards

I like the FF Portable recommendation.

SteveHillier
January 13th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I don't think the OP was saying that they could not run FF in Windows.
They were saying (at least I think they were saying) that when they run the 'Quick Books On Line' system using FIrefox then that website demands that they run it in a version of IE greater than 6.

If I read this right then your comment
Firefox (all versions) for Windows work in Wine. whilst perfectly correct will not help the OP with their problem.

mocoloco
January 13th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Very good question, it must not require ActiveX for FF on Windows, so why the OS restriction? Doesn't make sense to me either, probably they're being lazy and don't want to test/support it so they just block it.

Maybe you could use the Firefox user agent switcher (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59). It doesn't have FF Win by default but you could google for a profile for it.

Desert Sailor
January 13th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Thanks guys for all the ideas. I tried to get IE8 going in Wine, but that didn't work. I didn't think about FF for Windows running under Wine. I think I'll give that a try.

SteveHillier
January 13th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Apologies to Sir Jaspar, I might have been hasty in my criticism of his contribution. I now see where he is coming from.

Nottawa
January 13th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I had a web site that I needed access to but could not with Ubuntu's version of Firefox. I installed Mozilla's Firefox and was then able to access the page and all its features. It seems that many pages don't like Shiritoko/Ubuntu FF.

Sir Jasper
January 13th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Hi,

I think it was carlee who recently explained how to install IE8 in Wine (and I believe it worked).

Perhaps you could try the search box (above top right) with IE8 as the main search term and carlee in the poster section?

I have no idea about ActiveX and Wine or your particular financial program and my apology if I have misunderstood your needs.

My regards

Steve, there is no need to apologise (and you may be right) - if we can help between all of us then that will suit our questioner.

tom.swartz07
January 13th, 2010, 01:29 AM
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/ies4linux

Im not sure if anyone touched on this, but its well worth a shot.
Especially because you need the ActiveX controls...

Desert Sailor
January 13th, 2010, 01:41 AM
OK... Thanks to all of you, that was great help, and very fast. We have a working solution, I'll mark the thread SOLVED.

I was able to copy my version of Firefox for Windows from my "library" on my Windows partition, and install it under Wine. Took about 30 seconds, and works perfectly. Quick Books On Line thinks I am on FF for Windows and I have full and complete access.

THANKS!!!!!

b0b138
January 13th, 2010, 02:22 AM
FYI, if I go to the site and click through to Quick Books Online Free and click Start Now, I get a browser not supported yadda yadda page.

But, with user agent switch set to IE, I get to create a login. Not sure if it will keep working past that, but something to look into.