PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need to Clean Up Ubuntu and Slow Down Processors

turboopugsleylx
January 13th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Hey guys,

Is there a function within Ubuntu that is akin to defragging and cleaning your registry files in windows? I remember starting Ubuntu in safe mode that did something like this it seemed....just want to make sure everything with my system is optimized and running as fast as it can...

Secondly I ran a command on here recently that cause my processors to turn to full on 100% of their Mhz as opposed to being on demand...what command do I need to use to switch them back to a "scale power on demand type setting"?

Thanks
Turbo

s.fox
January 13th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Hello,

Take a look at this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2443456&postcount=5) for information on defragging.

-Silver Fox

JC Cheloven
January 13th, 2010, 01:03 AM
AS for the cpu speed:

- right-click on a pannel (perhaps the upper one)
- select "add to panel"
- search for CPU frequency monitor, and add it
This allows you to control the cpu freq.

Cheers

turboopugsleylx
January 13th, 2010, 01:10 AM
I have the monitor but when I switch it to half speed nothing happens...it doesnt work

turboopugsleylx
January 13th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Hello,

Take a look at this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2443456&postcount=5) for information on defragging.

-Silver Fox

Also is there anyway to force thise or make it take a less amount of reboots?

wojox
January 13th, 2010, 01:16 AM
# Force File System Check

sudo touch /forcefsck

turboopugsleylx
January 13th, 2010, 01:28 AM
When I did the force command nothing happened...restarted nothing happened as well...

turboopugsleylx
January 13th, 2010, 03:03 AM
What should I do?

ssulaco
January 13th, 2010, 03:42 AM
sudo touch /forcefsck
wojox's command should work for you,are you asked for your password after you execute the command?,did you copy and paste the command.........if you typed in manually there is a space between h and /

turboopugsleylx
January 13th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Heres all that happened...

chris@chris-desktop:~$ sudo touch /forcefsck
[sudo] password for chris:
chris@chris-desktop:~$

entered password and it went back to prompt...

JC Cheloven
January 13th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I have the monitor but when I switch it to half speed nothing happens...it doesnt work

Then it may be that your cpu/motherboard don't support cpu scalling. Nothing to do in that case.

Hint: Many desktop pc's doesn't allow cpu scalling. Most laptops do.

EDIT: you said that you ran some command before. What was it? I think it's cpufreq-selector. It should be run as root. Check the manpages:
man cpufreq-selector

tom.swartz07
January 13th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Heres all that happened...

chris@chris-desktop:~$ sudo touch /forcefsck
[sudo] password for chris:
chris@chris-desktop:~$

you could always just run fsck right from a livecd

sudo fsck

I dunno if that will get the same results youre looking for, but it basically does the same thing

ssulaco
January 13th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Yes it will go back to prompt.....it requires a reboot after this.

turboopugsleylx
January 13th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Then it may be that your cpu/motherboard don't support cpu scalling. Nothing to do in that case.

Hint: Many desktop pc's doesn't allow cpu scalling. Most laptops do.

EDIT: you said that you ran some command before. What was it? I think it's cpufreq-selector. It should be run as root. Check the manpages:
man cpufreq-selector

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1371258

heres the thread with the command I did....my processor went from 1350Mhz to 2700 Mhz when i ran the command...now I cant get it back to where it adjusts cpu usage under load....the CPU monitor in the lower right hand didnt do anything when i adjusted it...

turboopugsleylx
January 13th, 2010, 07:18 AM
This one below even when I reboot does nothing....the other one warns me about running on a mounted system...which I am hesitant to do anyways....any ideas?
sudo touch /forcefsck

turboopugsleylx
January 13th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Any Ideas?

louieb
January 13th, 2010, 11:48 AM
This one below even when I reboot does nothing...sudo touch /forcefsck

All that command does is create a file named /forcefsck - did you look in the / directory to see if its there?

You'll know fsck ran if the file is gone after reboot.
How do you know fsck did not run on reboot?