PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to update dependencies

lorelei
January 12th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I need to update my dependencies. How do I do it and/or what command do I need. Thanks

cbabbage
January 12th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Your question is pretty vague; could you provide more info about what you're trying to do?

lorelei
January 12th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I use feisty fawn. My flash player is out of date. I want to download adobe but it won't let me.

EssexEagle
January 12th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I use feisty fawn. My flash player is out of date. I want to download adobe but it won't let me.

What do you mean, it won't let you? What happens when you try?

Please try to give as much detail as possible when asking questions on the forum - it makes it much easier for people to help you ;-)

cbabbage
January 12th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Because feisty fawn is quite old now, I don't think you'll be able to get a current flash update; someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. You'll need to look at upgrading your entire Ubuntu OS to the current one. There are a number of ways to do so, and don't hesitate to ask if you need help.

Bartender
January 12th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Or upgrade it to 9.04 instead of 9.10. Too many people are having troubles with 9.10.

lorelei
January 12th, 2010, 11:03 PM
to essexeagle; It tells me to update dependencies.

to cbabbage: Yeah, I know I need to upgrade one os at a time. (gutsy to hardy...) I have been checking out how to do it but I need help with that too.

VastOne
January 12th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Or upgrade it to 9.04 instead of 9.10. Too many people are having troubles with 9.10.

I do not agree with this assessment of 9.10. If anything, the advice given to the OP would be Hardy since it is the LTS release.

albert s
January 12th, 2010, 11:51 PM

although Im a really new user, Im having far far less problems with 9.10 than I did with 9.04.
(fair enough I only do basic stuff)
in fact to the point where I almost gave up on UBUNTU and probably would have if 9.10 hadnt came out when it did.

cbabbage
January 12th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Upgrading: Go to System > Administration > Updates. This will open the Update manager. See what it says at the top - it should tell you what upgrade path is available, something along the lines of 'new distribution release available' . Be advised that the upgrade will be a big download and take a lot of time.

cbabbage
January 13th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I should have mentioned, too, before you start any upgrade, make sure you back up any data on your system that you can't afford to lose. Copy it to a USB drive or external hard drive.

lorelei
January 13th, 2010, 07:54 AM
cbabbage, yeah I have tried that and there is no "new distribution release" in the window. When I "check" for updates I get a new window that says "could not download all repository indexes" I am frustrated.

sliketymo
January 13th, 2010, 10:52 AM
That is probably due to the fact that Fiesty is no longer supported.You'll probably have to download the newer version .iso,and burn it to disc.

cbabbage
January 13th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Okay, that means that feisty fawn is too out of date to be updated by the package manager. The next thing to try is to get hold of install disks of one of the later versions of Ubuntu. This is how I do it myself. The computing magazines locally, and I presume where you are located, almost always have a software CD or DVD attached, and Ubuntu releases are featured regularly on them. I often don't even buy the magazine/DVD, I just borrow it from the local library and make my own copy from the DVD.

So what I would suggest is check out the computing magazines in your local library, and see if you can find one which has a more recent version of Ubuntu available on a disk. If you can find one you will be able to upgrade from that.

CB.

Bartender
January 13th, 2010, 04:10 PM
lorelei -
If you live near one of the bigger cities in Colorado you might be able to find a local linux user's group. They'd probably be more than happy to help you get a newer version installed and set up correctly.

I just googled "colorado linux users groups" and got a bunch of hits :D

lorelei
January 13th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Thank you cbabbage and bartender you have been the most help. I am hopeful again!

Bartender
January 13th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I do not agree with this assessment of 9.10.

Hey, there, VastOne -
You tried transferring anything to or from an external USB HDD in Karmic? This sort of regression is exactly what I mean.

With 9.04 our external HDD dock could move a 1GB file in about a minute or so. In Karmic, it takes over 15 minutes. ](*,)