PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] xargs +find + Kayone =fail

Kayone
January 12th, 2010, 10:28 PM
find . \( -name "*\?*" -o -name "*:*" -o -name "*\;*" -o -name "*\**" \) | xargs -n1 -I{} rename "\*" "" {}
I am wondering why this isn't working. Any ideas?

I am trying to dig through some directories (under the current directory) for special characters and remove them. Realistically, I would like to replace it with a underscore but I can't seem to get anything to work. I am failing at xargs...

I'm a noob. I am getting the following error:

syntax error at (eval 1) line 2, at EOF
xargs: rename: exited with status 255; aborted

sisco311
January 12th, 2010, 10:45 PM
EDIT:

find . \( -name "*\?*" -o -name "*:*" -o -name "*\;*" -o -name "*\**" \) -exec rename -n 's/[?:;*]/_/g' {} \;

find . -depth \( -name "*\?*" -o -name "*:*" -o -name "*\;*" -o -name "*\**" \) -execdir rename -n 's/[?:;*]/_/g' {} \;

Kayone
January 13th, 2010, 04:30 PM
EDIT:

find . \( -name "*\?*" -o -name "*:*" -o -name "*\;*" -o -name "*\**" \) -exec rename -n 's/[?:;*]/_/g' {} \;

find . -depth \( -name "*\?*" -o -name "*:*" -o -name "*\;*" -o -name "*\**" \) -execdir rename -n 's/[?:;*]/_/g' {} \;

1. Will I need to sudo to run exec? I run it and it says things are renamed yet they aren't actually renamed. If I run it again, it says the same things are renamed but nothing is...

2. It appears this works on file names only. Is that correct?

Thanks sisco!

sisco311
January 13th, 2010, 05:27 PM
1. Will I need to sudo to run exec? I run it and it says things are renamed yet they aren't actually renamed. If I run it again, it says the same things are renamed but nothing is...

2. It appears this works on file names only. Is that correct?

Thanks sisco!

To actually rename the files you have to remove the -n option from the rename command.

It works with directories too, that's why you need the -depth (process each directory's contents before the directory itself.)and -execdir (run the command from the subdirectory containing the matched file) options (see man find for details), otherwise rename will try to rename i.e. ./dir?name/file;name to ./dir_name/file_name witch throws a no such directory errors.

Kayone
February 4th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I was able to get rid of "a lot" of the whitespace and removing all special characters. Now I am having issues with "the rest" of the whitespace.

Some of the file/directory names have leading and trailing white space that didn't delete with the rest of it. Some of the files have multiple white spaces in the middle of the files. The thing I am wondering (outside of finding a solution), could this be because I copied and pasted the file names from a different source. Could it be formatting tags (like line breaks) that keeps these files from renaming?

Kayone
February 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I was able to get rid of "a lot" of the whitespace and removing all special characters. Now I am having issues with "the rest" of the whitespace.

Some of the file/directory names have leading and trailing white space that didn't delete with the rest of it. Some of the files have multiple white spaces in the middle of the files. The thing I am wondering (outside of finding a solution), could this be because I copied and pasted the file names from a different source. Could it be formatting tags (like line breaks) that keeps these files from renaming?

I gave up and did it manually. I fought the bash and the bash won :(

Thanks goes out to everyone that tried to help or thought about it. You may not have solved my problem but you made the manual renaming a hell of a lot faster!!

New problems OTW.

Paddy Landau
February 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
For mass renaming, you might like pyrenamer. You can find it in the normal repositories.

Kayone
February 9th, 2010, 06:41 PM
For mass renaming, you might like pyrenamer. You can find it in the normal repositories.

Haha. I figured there would be something written for it. I am really trying to learn bash though.

I am going to grab it now. It know my replacement (at my current location) is going to need it.