PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Why acn't I open THIS attachment?

Chris Edgell
January 12th, 2010, 08:27 PM
There have been quite a few along the way and THIS TIME I thought I'd ask and see what I'm doing wrong.

Here are two screenshots of how far I get with it.

kerry_s
January 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM
you need to extract it first, you can't run it in the archiver.

warfacegod
January 12th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Which one are you trying to open?

bubbles99
January 12th, 2010, 08:34 PM
i agree with kerry_s

dullard
January 12th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Also, that has a .pps file extension, so it's probably a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation. You'll need to use something such as OpenOffice to view it, or transfer it to a Windows machine with MS Office or a suitable PowerPoint reader installed.

Chris Edgell
January 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Oh, you can see in the background, my sister sent me two attachments; I don't know why I thought they were both part of a complex card, or some such. Sorry, I'm trying to open them both

I don't know HOW TO extract. If you tell me, I'll appreciate it; if you point me to the page that explains how to extract, that's okay too.

Wouldn't you think, I could open my mail, click on view or download attachment and it would deliver the picture on the page?

bubbles99
January 12th, 2010, 08:41 PM
to extract "Judi#2" just press the extract button in the window in the screen shot

Chris Edgell
January 12th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Bubbles, any all,,

Here's the screenshot of what happens then:

halitech
January 12th, 2010, 09:14 PM
you can't extract a pps file, you just need to save it to your computer then open it with OpenOffice

Maheriano
January 12th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Holy smokes. Dude, you need to extract the .zip file, not the .pps. Right click that .zip wherever you saved it and click Extract To Here. Presto.

Chris Edgell
January 12th, 2010, 09:43 PM
You imply that I should "get it" by now; however your frustration with my ignorance still doesn't bring me the light.

I'm posting another screenshot, maybe someone can walk me through from the desktop to the opening.

I am only going to the extreme because I have NEVER been able to open these kind of attachments. I'm sorry I don't get it but please bear with me till I see this operation through. I am very grateful for the continued support.

sgosnell
January 12th, 2010, 10:09 PM
In the first post, the left thumbnail, there is a window with the title "Attachments_2012_1_12.zip", or close to that. In that window there is a box titled "Extract". Click on that box, and the enclosed files will be extracted to wherever you select. Once they have been extracted, you can open them by clicking on them. In fact, you should be able to double-click on the .pps file in the window and have it opened by the default app for those type files.

Chris Edgell
January 12th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I think they have been extracted and put on the desktop. Now when I left-click on them...each one gets the box you see in this screenshot.

What now? I've clicked different oways to open, but cannot open, as you see here "open" is grayed out.

I'm nearly ready to give up. You may be too.

fromthehill
January 12th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I think they have been extracted and put on the desktop. Now when I left-click on them...each one gets the box you see in this screenshot.

What now? I've clicked different oways to open, but cannot open, as you see here "open" is grayed out.

I'm nearly ready to give up. You may be too.
do you have openoffice installed
if you have jus DOUBLECLICK on the .pps file

if openoffice isn't installed you can't open it

davec64
January 12th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Do you have OpenOffice installed?

Go to Applications >> Office

And see if OpenOffice.org Presentation is listed.

If you haven't open Ubuntu Software Centre, and under Office find it and install it.

You should then be able to view *.pps files. :)

J V
January 12th, 2010, 11:03 PM
it doesn't look like he does, you're running xubuntu, yes?

xubuntu apps support word docs, and excel docs, but not pp docs :P

install openoffice (apt://openoffice.org-impress) if you want to open it...

Sir Jasper
January 12th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Hi,

You need to install Open office (Presentation) to read it in Xubuntu. Alternatively, the SoftMaker Presentations should work (but you probably didnīt take up that free offer).

If you donīt want to install Open Office then perhaps your sister can help.

My regards

If you have Windows, as well Xubuntu, there is a free read-only version of PP which may work.

Chris Edgell
January 12th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I'm showing how it will be if I install open office. Is it worth this 194 MBs? What else is it good for beside reading this type of file?

J V
January 12th, 2010, 11:19 PM
if you bothered to click the link (apt://openoffice.org-impress) I provided earlier you would get only the bare minimum for opening pps...

still about 150 megs, but im pretty sure its the only presentation software out there, besides, OO is generally better than most of the unidirectional writers...

fromthehill
January 12th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I'm showing how it will be if I install open office. Is it worth this 194 MBs? What else is it good for beside reading this type of file?

look for the package openoffice-impress

it will only install the program which opens the pps files

click on the link JV gave
click on ok

Chris Edgell
January 12th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Actually I had "bothered" to click on that link but was still trying to see WHAT I should install. But I did go there and installed that application. (If that's what open office is called.)

I have read the attachment that I got opened, and it was so good, it made me cry. That's good, isn't it??!!

Thank you VERY much...and I'm sure I'll enjoy having the open office for future attachments, if nothing else. Although I am going to explore and find out what else it's good for.

Thanks again.

sgosnell
January 13th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Open Office is the Linux version of Microsoft Office. It does everything MSOffice does, and will edit and save those files as well as Open Office files. If you want MSOffice for free, this is the legal way to get it. If you never use a word processor or spreadsheet, nor create or view Powerpoint presentations, you probably don't need it, but if you need to work with any of those files, you need it.

raymondh
January 13th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Actually I had "bothered" to click on that link but was still trying to see WHAT I should install. But I did go there and installed that application. (If that's what open office is called.)

I have read the attachment that I got opened, and it was so good, it made me cry. That's good, isn't it??!!

Thank you VERY much...and I'm sure I'll enjoy having the open office for future attachments, if nothing else. Although I am going to explore and find out what else it's good for.

Thanks again.

Well done, Ma'am :) Another day, another challenge to hurdle ;) Keep up the spirit and good work.

Raymond

Chris Edgell
January 13th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I have been using AbiWord, but have felt some limitations, maybe open office will be fun to see. Oh, I go and see I have a wizard to "do", I may as well follow through, don't you think?!

hey, ray, hi

estyles
January 13th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Hopefully you don't get too discouraged... I think the reason people were a little less patient than they could have been was because we're used to dealing with people who are Absolute Beginners to *Linux*, and not necessarily to computers (I'm not necessarily saying that you are, but I suppose I am implying it, because usually even Windows users have to deal with a zip file occasionally). Usually it's people who use Windows a lot and complain a lot because "it's so much easier in Windows". In your case, you'd have had to go through essentially the same steps regardless of OS, though it might've been a little bit more involved to download/install Open Office in windows (and if you wanted to use MS's solution, it woulda cost you $100+ to get MS Office!).

If you show the same patience you have on this thread and continue to ask for help, then you should have no problem dealing with whatever issues you have.

Chris Edgell
January 13th, 2010, 01:50 AM
People have been very good to me. Yes, I am not only new to Linux, but also to computers in general. I'm always amazed at the patience that IS shown to me, it has made me more patient in my everyday life...just acknowledging that anyone can be nearly over their head, and a little kindness, or even just civility goes a long way. Again I thank you all...and I did go in one end and come out at the light at the end of that tunnel.

One last screenshot... LOL (if I may beg your indulgence.) You see I did download that site for saving about 50 MB and I want to show you what I DIDN'T get...and wonder if I should go ahead and get the word processor.

raymondh
January 13th, 2010, 01:54 AM
People have been very good to me. Yes, I am not only new to Linux, but also to computers in general. I'm always amazed at the patience that IS shown to me, it has made me more patient in my everyday life...just acknowledging that anyone can be nearly over their head, and a little kindness, or even just civility goes a long way. Again I thank you all...and I did go in one end and come out at the light at the end of that tunnel.

One last screenshot... LOL (if I may beg your indulgence.) You see I did download that site for saving about 50 MB and I want to show you what I DIDN'T get...and wonder if I should go ahead and get the word processor.

Ms. Chris ....I'd add the 'openoffice.org-writer' ... using synaptic, of course.

Raymond

Chris Edgell
January 13th, 2010, 01:59 AM
One last time let me thank you all!