PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reset / remove Samba share permissions?

aquascrotum
January 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I have 2 drives shared via samba - I want to remove the share.

Nautilus doesnt show the folders as being shared for some reason, so I cant simply go into Nautilus "Sharing Options" and untick the shared box. I know the files are still beng shared though as I can view them in my network places and on a windows machine in my network.

Any ideas? Cheers

Morbius1
January 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM
If you have a share named "documents" you can open a Terminal and type:

net usershare delete documents

EDIT: That deletes the share not the documents folder. Probably should have said that somewhere

The other way is to go back in nautilus, share it again, and then unshare it. I know that doesn't make any sense but there's a bug in nautilus where it forgets to add a "share" icon to the share folder after a reboot or logoff.

Gone fishing
January 12th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Edit the samba conf

alt F2 then type gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

and remove the share. Probably best to make a backup of the original smb.conf first just in case.

Morbius1
January 12th, 2010, 08:19 PM
so I cant simply go into Nautilus "Sharing Options" and untick the shared box.

I believe the OP is using nautilus-share not Classic samba so the shares are not defined in smb.conf .

mikewhatever
January 12th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Have you tried to log outand then login? Alternatively, have to tried reloading samba?

Morbius1
January 12th, 2010, 09:07 PM
There is another possibility. You have shares defined using both methods - Classic and Nautilus. In which case you would need to use both my and Gone fishing's answers.

You should probably do Gone Fishing's first, then mine.

aquascrotum
January 12th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I've no idea there were 2 methods to share and have no idea which I've used - apparently it was a fluke I had shares at all.

I tried

The other way is to go back in nautilus, share it again, and then unshare it.

with apparent success. Cheers!