PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How Do I Get CD Rom to Mount When Running OS From RAM?

mulluysavage
January 12th, 2010, 02:58 PM
My main instance of Ubuntu is messed up and I'm taking the opportunity to try a new version on a fresh partition.

I'm running Partition Magic in RAM, which has a CD burner program. I've downloaded 9.10 iso, but when I open the burner it says CD drive empty. There's a blank disk in the drive. I look at "Mount Devices" and it offers the option to mount the CD drive. I click on it, but it just resets to the "mount" option. When I mount other drives successfully, I get an "unmount" option. This CD drive worked on my other ubuntu install.

prshah
January 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM
There's a blank disk in the drive. I look at "Mount Devices" and it offers the option to mount the CD drive.

There is no need (or point) to try and mount a blank CD. You don't need (and shouldn't / can't) mount a blank CD in order to burn an image to it.

If your burner program does not recognize the media, and you are sure that the CD drive is alright, then it is probably a media problem.

mulluysavage
January 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks it was a media problem The third disk I tried worked! I thought it was unlikely that it was a media problem after 2 disks didn't work.

prshah
January 12th, 2010, 07:24 PM
it was a media problem The third disk I tried worked!

Remember to throw away the other 2 discs; they are of no use! I've run into this problem so many times I've lost count. When this happened to me, I used to keep the dodgy media aside for checking later; I would never get around to it. The next time I try to burn something, I would again pick up these, and run into the same problem again.

I finally wised up and realized that there is never any point where I would actually re-check dodgy media; now when I find such a disk, I chuck it into the trash immediately!