PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubunutu version of Netstumbler ?

wannabegeek
January 12th, 2010, 10:14 AM
hi all,

am wondering if there is a Ubuntu version of Netstumbler...

I would like to know my connection speed, who's using my router (unsecured) and what which channel routers nearby are on.

thanks

dpc

slakkie
January 12th, 2010, 10:16 AM
hi all,

am wondering if there is a Ubuntu version of Netstumbler...

I would like to know my connection speed, who's using my router (unsecured) and what which channel routers nearby are on.

thanks

dpc

Have a look on http://packages.ubuntu.com. If you use Ubuntu, Firefox also has a default search for packages. Hope this helps.

mikewhatever
January 12th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Not according to wikipedia. Regardless, securing your router is a much better approach, then knowing mac addresses of those using it.
As for connection speed, speedtest.net.

wannabegeek
January 12th, 2010, 10:28 AM
What do you think about kismet...

I btw, I had some trouble getting Ubuntu to work with my RA2500 card
when I used encryption. Everything worked when I turned it off through my router...

Plus it's nice to have friends come over and just use my internet...all my neighbors have there own...

I just wonder sometimes if some skulking around on my router..

thanks
wbg

audiomick
January 12th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Plus it's nice to have friends come over and just use my internet...

Whilst this is true, I don't find it a great drama to give them access as the occasion arises.

The other side of the coin is the possible consequences of of someone "hitchhiking" on your connection. In Germany, there is already at least a legal precedent, if not directly a law, that says you are responsible for your wlan, and whoever uses it. Effectively, you have to use encryption. If someone uses your connection to download dubious content, it is your responsibility.
Wherever you are, if the "powers that be" have questions about what is being done with your connection, they will come to you first. Claiming to know nothing about whatever it is is not a real solid defense...;)