PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What exactly is Ubuntu One?

jermza
January 12th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I'm still migrating to Ubuntu, so please excuse my ignorance.

What is Ubuntu One? Is it simply online storage, making files accessible from anywhere?

Or is it more?

For example, Google Docs is cloud computing (which I believe is the term). Is Ubuntu One something similar?

konqueror7
January 12th, 2010, 09:29 AM

What is Ubuntu One? Is it simply online storage, making files accessible from anywhere?

Or is it more?

For example, Google Docs is cloud computing (which I believe is the term). Is Ubuntu One something similar?

yes, you are right. ubuntu one is simply just an online storage similar to Dropbox. it doesn't have any funtions other than syncing offline/online storage. one thing that most differentiate it from Dropbox is its only available (for now?) in ubuntu, as compared to Dropbox which is multi-platform...

audiomick
January 12th, 2010, 11:06 AM
As I understand it, Ubuntu One is not much at the moment, but is a work in progress, i.e. will offer more as time goes by.

For my part, and I may just be paranoid, I would never trust my data to Google, but may consider Ubuntu one in the course of time.

danwosere2007
January 12th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Its a cloud man...*does mysterious hippy hand waving....like a computer but in a cloud........

Grenage
January 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I find it very handy, especially for storing config files, and contacts in Evolution. Nothing confidential (I could encrypt the contents); very handy indeed.

audiomick
January 12th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I find it very handy, especially for storing config files, and contacts in Evolution. Nothing confidential (I could encrypt the contents); very handy indeed.

If they get it to the point where it is possible to sync a Symbian phone (nokia E61) to Evolution via Ubuntu one, I'll be there in a flash. That's been broken (sync phone<>evolution) since the update to 9.10 :(

pricetech
January 12th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Its a cloud man...*does mysterious hippy hand waving....like a computer but in a cloud........

Deeply Philosophical indeed.

philinux
January 12th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Or is it more?

It's more than just handy online storage.
It can sync Evolution contacts. Also with the bindwood firefox extension it can sync bookmarks.

freesitebuilder
January 12th, 2010, 08:29 PM

I've left using it to store/backup my Evo contacts simply because I'm concerned about their security, and I don't really want to use Ubuntu One as my default address book location.

Any advice on this? I don't really know enough about the workings of cloud computing to judge for myself!

cartisdm
January 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM
It's still a work in progress so right now I am sticking with Dropbox (one of my favorite applications I can think of). But from what I have read, Ubuntu One will be really useful for people who use Evolution mail and calendar features

Vapor1115
January 21st, 2010, 05:43 PM

i joined just so i could say how awesome this answer was. ROFLMAO.

cartisdm
January 23rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
i joined just so i could say how awesome this answer was. ROFLMAO.

Now that you're here, stick around and see how great Ubuntu Forums is!

JiuJitsu500
January 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
I must also say the same :)

I will also include as a free bonus I didn't know I'd be as involved as this, I joined just to find some answers I couldn't elsewhere.... and ended up giving a few I found myself, and then asking more because I was already here....

And the Hippy thing man! That almost made me lol for real... I just watched some crazy Spatula Madness (same guy who did Charlie the Unicorn) and pictured a damn spatula saying that :D