PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Browsers cannot display some pages, Security issue

wannabegeek
January 12th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Hello everyone,

I have recently not been able to load certain web pages in Mozilla or Opera.

The first I noticed was my University's login page to student services which is encrypted.

Next was the apple online store, when I tried to 'checkout'.

And now, as I am trying to do my research, a page with no apparent security measures that contains access to archived data. No passwords here its open to the public.

I'm running Hardy and will provide links to any or all web pages if that will help.

thanks a lot, I have a lot of work to do.... :|

wbg

wannabegeek
January 12th, 2010, 10:14 AM
bump...

warfacegod
January 12th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Are you using Adblock Plus?

FYI It's considered bad form to bump your own thread so quickly. Try waiting about a day.

philinux
January 12th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Hello everyone,

I have recently not been able to load certain web pages in Mozilla or Opera.

The first I noticed was my University's login page to student services which is encrypted.

Next was the apple online store, when I tried to 'checkout'.

And now, as I am trying to do my research, a page with no apparent security measures that contains access to archived data. No passwords here its open to the public.

I'm running Hardy and will provide links to any or all web pages if that will help.

thanks a lot, I have a lot of work to do.... :|

wbg

Some sites will not work without cookies enabled or whitelisted. Also adblock and flashblock need to be disabled for certain sites to function correctly.

wannabegeek
January 14th, 2010, 03:11 AM
thanks for reply,,,

will follow bump protocols.....

I do use ABP on firefox but didn't think I had Opera's equivalent setup.

I'll check that out...

warfacegod
January 14th, 2010, 03:52 AM
The reason I asked about Adblock was because I (like an idiot) accidentally blocked my own email page. Took me twenty minutes to figure out why I couldn't load my inbox page. I ended up having to erase all my custom filters to fix it. I just thought you may be running into something similar.

wannabegeek
January 14th, 2010, 09:34 AM
so disabled ABP and no help...
cookies have been enabled the whole time...

anyone out there have a similar issue ?

it's becoming a real liability, I need access to these pages....

thanks

wbg

warfacegod
January 14th, 2010, 04:17 PM
so disabled ABP and no help...
cookies have been enabled the whole time...

anyone out there have a similar issue ?

it's becoming a real liability, I need access to these pages....

thanks

wbg

I tried to just disable ABP also it didn't work. Removing my custom filters was my only choice if I wanted to continue using ABP, which I did.

MiCK.ca
January 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM
for reference, Opera does not have ADblock. you can build a script/CSS file to do so. that also applies to flash. Opera is basically wide open with the exception of cookies and javascript. Check those out.

Opera wiki has the adblock and flashblock scripts if you are interested.

wannabegeek
January 14th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the Opera scripts page will check out when current issue is resolved c:0

to warface,

I don't think I have any custom filters setup, gonna check it out more...

BACK
when I go to my University login page, the one that doesn't load, ABP says
no blocked ads and I whitelisted the page , still no go

NEW problem possibly related:
I can't ssh to my school's machine's either and I know that I can when I try from a different machine than mine.

emailed admin and he sys he can't see why, there's no problem in the log. He asked what my ISP was, which is sbcglobal (AT&T) but that didn't clear anything up....

any other ideas ?

thank you all for your help,
wbg

warfacegod
January 14th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Is IPv6 disabled?

wannabegeek
January 15th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I looked up what IPv6 is....don't know how to disable. I read some articles but didn't know
if I could trust them.

How do you suggest warfacegod ?

is there a way to disable from firefox only ?

wbg

warfacegod
January 15th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Yes it can be disabled within Firefox But I don't remember exactly where it is in the about:config. Here is my suggestion: Google Swiftfox and download a .deb of it. Swiftfox is a tweaked version of Firefox. Using another browser may or may not fix your problem, but at the very least you'll have a speedier time surfing to the sites you can get to. I also suggest looking at this, I haven't used it for trouble shooting just tweaking so I don't know if it will cover your issue or not but it is a trouble shooting guide.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567

wannabegeek
January 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
This issue is still resolved, I think it is kinda weird since Hardy has been pretty stable on my computer. But, then again my Dell is older than th release which seems like less than ideal.

I'm going to install Karmic today to prepare for a new machine in the next couple of months.

thanks to Warfacegod for his help,
wbg

warfacegod
January 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Certainly.

I'm into physics myself. Astro, Particle, Quantum, String, etc. but more as a layman with a solid understanding than as a real student.