PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen resolution

Extract_Here
January 12th, 2010, 05:03 AM
my screen is uncomfortably too big i want it make it smaller

I installed the proprietary drivers for my nvidia 9400 gt card but it wont ler me make it smaller than it already is

thanks for the help in advance :)

TBABill
January 13th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Are you trying to make the changes via the desktop configuration utility or are you going through the nVidia utility for your video card? Once you installed the proprietary driver you should be using the nVidia configuration utility to make video changes to screen resolution. Your post didn't say how you were going about it so I am not sure if that's the problem or not.

Marvin666
January 13th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I have a similar problem, execpt I can't make my res higher. Karmic crashes every time I try to install nvidia driver #185. I tried making an xorg.conf, and listing 1600x900 as a mode, but I cant seem to go above 1280x720. I havn't seen if it has coppy video yet, but my jaunty install always did. I'll install super tux cart, and see how well it runs.

TBABill
January 13th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Make sure you have already enabled non-free repositories and that you are installing your driver via the repositories.

Have you gotten a partial installation (started but failed) or are you getting another error when trying to install the software?

More explanation of how you are going about the installation and at what point you are having a failure in the process will assist with getting a better answer for you. (i.e., do you need to uninstall/reinstall, are you trying to go from one nVidia driver to another, did it work and now has failed, etc.)