PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Start Panel doesn't show active windows, everything squished to the left

JoJerome
January 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Karmic on a Compaq laptop. Everything installed well. Had to mess with wifi and video drivers but that's par for the course.

Then ran into some annoying bootsector issues, partly from my messing with the video drivers. Upon resolving that...

Everything normally on the right of the start panel (time, battery and wifi status, select icons, etc) is now smashed to the left and active windows don't show up ... especially annoying when my user is using maximum sized windows and wanting to toggle between them.

Panel settings allows me to put a spacer between what should be on the right and what should be on the left, but active windows still don't show up so that's apparently not the fix.

Thoughts?

JoJerome
January 30th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Bumping...

My friend here is otherwise totally sold on Kubuntu. Yay!

But would still love to have that start panel back to normal if anyone has any ideas.

theozzlives
January 30th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Bumping...

My friend here is otherwise totally sold on Kubuntu. Yay!

But would still love to have that start panel back to normal if anyone has any ideas.

I'm not sold on Kubuntu, but if it's anything like GNOME, you just right-click and unlock. Then you can right-click and move.

JoJerome
January 30th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I'm not sold on Kubuntu, but if it's anything like GNOME, you just right-click and unlock. Then you can right-click and move.

Unfortunately, no such command. There's lock/unlock widgets and lock/unlock desktop.

Any other ideas?

Artificial Intelligence
January 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM
In the panel to the right, should be a "plasma" button. Click it, you can resize, edit and add stuff from there.

JoJerome
February 14th, 2010, 09:09 AM
In the panel to the right, should be a "plasma" button. Click it, you can resize, edit and add stuff from there.

I can, however "Show active windows" is not one of those options.

Best I can do is add a spacer that pushes everything that is supposed to be on the right, to the right. But active windows still do not appear in the start panel.

adid
February 24th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I can, however "Show active windows" is not one of those options.

Best I can do is add a spacer that pushes everything that is supposed to be on the right, to the right. But active windows still do not appear in the start panel.

Hi, i'm new in here! I hope i would use this web as a place where I can get an answer to my problems in Ubuntu :)

I think I have the same problem:
i can't see the icons of the active windows-programs on the panel, on the left side.
It all started when I restarted my computer, and after the restart I couldn't see the icons active windows-programs when I opened them.
I restarted again and nothing. I started to play with the panel buttons and still nothing :/ Now i move with the TAB button between the programs.

I hope somebody will have an answer for me!

yamushk
March 2nd, 2010, 08:30 PM
Same here. I just left the computer on and got back and everything is on the left - no active windows on the bottom panel.
Anyone found a solution?
Thanks!
Me ](*,) :P

Arijit_Kundu
March 2nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
have tried adding 'task bar' (or, what is it called in kde?), which keeps all active windows (tasks)

yamushk
March 2nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
have tried adding 'task bar' (or, what is it called in kde?), which keeps all active windows (tasks)

I added another task bar, but it doesn't have anything in it either...

Arijit_Kundu
March 2nd, 2010, 08:54 PM
this should actually help
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=82773&sid=53fb30bf51c0870c5cecd8b4b645d20d

yamushk
March 3rd, 2010, 03:31 AM
this should actually help
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=82773&sid=53fb30bf51c0870c5cecd8b4b645d20d

Thanks... I already found this link... But... It doesn't work. Just like the enrly (in the tread you mentioned) - all I get is either:
add widgets
add panel
lock widgets
panel settings
remove this panel

or
setting for the specific application that I am clicking or right clicking on...

I think the task bar is buggy that's why I don't see the application and that why we DON'T really have an "empty" space where we can right click or left click. I can click on any green arrow - but it would show me the option for that application only. Is there a way to get there from the command line?

Thanks again, let me know if you have any other ideas...

roylkenn
March 3rd, 2010, 04:45 AM
Go to the add widgets and select the task manager widget.

I think this is the one that you are searching for.

yamushk
March 4th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Go to the add widgets and select the task manager widget.

I think this is the one that you are searching for.

YES! Thank you! Where did this widget disappear to?
:popcorn:

Happy Happy Happy :-)