PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer fan control

kermit2435
January 11th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Does anyone have an idiots guide to controlling the fan on an Acer Aspire One, I am a newbie to this linux lark so need a Janet and John guide i.e open a terminal and type "bla bla". I am currently running version 9.10, the previous version 9.04 had the facility for me to open a terminal and type the following "sudo /usr/local/bin/acerfand" this would switch the fan off until the CPU got hot.
I am not familiar with installing packages so really need the Janet and John approach.
Thanks Kev:D

wojox
January 11th, 2010, 11:31 AM
With A110 and UNR v9.10, (late 2009 release), the only thing needed to be changed form the vanilla install is to edit /etc/modprobe.d/acerhdf.conf and add the line: options acerhdf kernelmode=1 then reboot. This controls the fan and is worth swapping to ubuntu just for this, the netbook is then silent apart from the sound made by using the keyboard..

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne/Ubuntu9.10

shuttleworthwannabe
January 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM
With A110 and UNR v9.10, (late 2009 release), the only thing needed to be changed form the vanilla install is to edit /etc/modprobe.d/acerhdf.conf and add the line: options acerhdf kernelmode=1 then reboot. This controls the fan and is worth swapping to ubuntu just for this, the netbook is then silent apart from the sound made by using the keyboard..

Any such luck for my lenovo ThinkPad x200--the fan is just unbearable?

kermit2435
January 11th, 2010, 06:41 PM

Thanx, but how do I get to the line to edit ?:popcorn:

shuttleworthwannabe
January 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Thanx, but how do I get to the line to edit ?:popcorn:

Run this is terminal

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/acerhdf.conf

kermit2435
January 11th, 2010, 07:03 PM

I keep getting permission denied, how do I switch this bloody thing off, it's driving me mad Gibber Gibber:(

kermit2435
January 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Run this is terminal

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/acerhdf.conf

Thank you -Silence is Golden!:P

shuttleworthwannabe
January 11th, 2010, 08:20 PM
you are most welcome!

now can you help me with my Thinkpad X200--the noise is driving me nuts---I feel like I lunatic with all the fan-noise buzzing in my head.

kermit2435
January 11th, 2010, 09:43 PM
you are most welcome!

now can you help me with my Thinkpad X200--the noise is driving me nuts---I feel like I lunatic with all the fan-noise buzzing in my head.

If it's running windows I highly recommend the free program - aa1 fan control, if your running Ubuntu I'm a newbie with capital N, I did a general search on fan control and there were lots of posts, but most were over my head?

wojox
January 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM
you are most welcome!

Could try this:

http://www.howtoforge.com/cpu_frequency_scaling_ubuntu

shuttleworthwannabe
January 12th, 2010, 04:53 PM
@kermit: that is for acer only. I have a Lenovo Thnkpad.
@wojox: Thanks, is cpu scaling not a feature now with the new kernels; I checked it out and CPU freq scaling is already working fine.

3ar1
May 31st, 2010, 07:24 PM
Does this still apply to Ubuntu 10.04?
There's no /etc/modprobe.d/acerhdf.conf on my system. How would I install acerhdf? I searched the Ubuntu Software Center without any luck.

alchemistkevin
June 2nd, 2010, 01:48 PM
Does this still apply to Ubuntu 10.04?
There's no /etc/modprobe.d/acerhdf.conf on my system. How would I install acerhdf? I searched the Ubuntu Software Center without any luck.
did you try to edit /etc/modprobe.d/acerhdf.conf and add the line: options acerhdf kernelmode=1 and reboot?

I'm having the same problem on Acer AOA150/acerhdf 0.5.20/BIOS 0.3310

monograph
November 14th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I seem to have the opposite problem with my ACER 5720Z Dual Core Intel. When I installed Ubuntu 10.10 it turned off my fan altogether. So now when i boot up it lasts about 10 mins and then turns off dead. No shutdown just off. I have gone through lots of forums so far about APCI controls and added code to the kernal etc. But I am a linux - newbie and also i cant my system on for long enough to start doing much at all.

In saying this, one time I booted up and the fan ran for the duration of that session. Only did that once and never has done again. Why?