PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] minimal karmic

dzon65
January 11th, 2010, 11:09 AM
i'm trying to install this minimal karmic on an old low specs pc.Must have done something wrong,cause I'm not getting to the main screen.Does anybody know a good tutorial on how to install it?Most of the things I could find were for previous releases.Some of the commands aren't recognized.

skymera
January 11th, 2010, 11:14 AM
i'm trying to install this minimal karmic on an old low specs pc.Must have done something wrong,cause I'm not getting to the main screen.Does anybody know a good tutorial on how to install it?Most of the things I could find were for previous releases.Some of the commands aren't recognized.

What do you mean by "main screen"? Login screen?

As far as i know, minimal Ubuntu is well.. minimal

According to this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Minimal is supposed to download packages during install. If your net connection wasn't working, that might explain why this system is bare bones.

wojox
January 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM
If your staring at a terminal with a blinking cursor, you haven't done anything wrong. Did you call any packages during the setup?

dzon65
January 11th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Yep,the login screen.That's the tutorial I used along with this one:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems .I'll give it another try but if it shouldn't work,I'd consider fluxbuntu.But that seems a little heavier.Anyhow,for example "start x" isn't recognized.The network is connected so...As for the rest,did exactly what was said in the tutorial.Let me try this again,I'll post the outcome in an hour or so.Thanks in advance.
Kind regards,John.

skymera
January 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM
A desktop environment isn't included in the Minimal version :)

slakkie
January 11th, 2010, 11:38 AM
A desktop environment isn't included in the Minimal version :)

Yes it is. You get a tasksel screen where you can define what your machine will do, server, desktop, etc. It just doesn't provide the packages on disk, you fetch them from a repo instead.

dzon65
January 11th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Yes it is. You get a tasksel screen where you can define what your machine will do, server, desktop, etc. It just doesn't provide the packages on disk, you fetch them from a repo instead.
Correct.And that might be the cause,could be I selected server.But still,command not recognized?Not sure if that tutorial works for the 9.10-version.

skymera
January 11th, 2010, 11:49 AM

My mistake.

Correct.And that might be the cause,could be I selected server.But still,command not recognized?Not sure if that tutorial works for the 9.10-version.

Now i'm sure the server doesn't include a GUI. :P

Paqman
January 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Does anybody know a good tutorial on how to install it?

Yep, I wrote one myself a little while ago:

Ubuntu Minimal (http://andyduffell.com/techblog/?p=361)

ankspo71
January 11th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Hi,
Are you wanting a desktop installed?

sudo apt-get update:

sudo apt-get install gdm gnome-core
(a very basic gnome desktop)

sudo apt-get install gdm xfce4
(a very basic xfce desktop)

GDM is the display manager that allows you login and start your desktop graphically, and is the one you see in the full Ubuntu install. Then there are lightweight desktops like openbox, fluxbox, blackbox, lxde, etc. I'm not familiar with servers, so I can't help much there.

nothingspecial
January 11th, 2010, 12:03 PM
You need to install xorg

mrgs
January 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Here is something that might get you going:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1155961
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

There is some noise in the first thread, but it is still worth reading.

dzon65
January 11th, 2010, 01:10 PM
No luck.Can't get to the login screen.And there's a bios error as well.Host SMBus not enabled.Before I started installing,I did all the bios updates I could find for this machine so.....What to do?Starting allover again.This has to and WILL work.

dzon65
January 11th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Yep, I wrote one myself a little while ago:

Ubuntu Minimal (http://andyduffell.com/techblog/?p=361)

This configuration looks ok.Was planning to use xfce but....Would your configuration run smoothly on 128mb ram 10G Hd.Firefox should run on 128mb,but how about the whole?

mkvnmtr
January 11th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I have done a number of minimal installs. Just did a 9.10 in a virtual box. There are a number of tutorials to get you started. Go for the CLI install. The disk has always picked up my wired connection on several computers. Do not know if it will detect wireless. I installed fluxbox this time and it works fine. Opera will use less resources that Firefox. In fact with the browser open Htop says I am using about 70Mb.

dzon65
January 11th, 2010, 03:07 PM
That's cool.However,I did the install and finally managed to log in.But when I do,only a terminal opens.
Starting again AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.I'll try this:http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal
However,I like the configuration paqman suggested.sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gdm xorg gnome-core gnome-codec-install indicator-session-applet update-manager firefox-3.5-gnome-support gnome-themes network-manager gdebi.I supose somethings missing.When setting these commands,it will not open the log in screen.

nothingspecial
January 11th, 2010, 03:31 PM
This is what I did on my netbook, if it is of any help.

Install minimal with a wired connection

sudo apt-get upate and sudo apt-get install wicd

wicd-curses

You can then set up your wireless.

sudo apt-get install xorg openbox firefox

nano ~/.xinitrc

add the line
openbox-session

startx

That`s it.

But it depends what you want to use the computer for. I use my netbook for surfing the web, maybe a bit of music and logging into my server via ssh, so I figured I don`t really need anything else that isn`t cli based.

dzon65
January 11th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I wonder what's causing this to open with nothing but a terminal.Followed exactly these steps.It's not exactly what I want but I can always change it later.

snowpine
January 11th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I wonder what's causing this to open with nothing but a terminal.Followed exactly these steps.It's not exactly what I want but I can always change it later.

I think you misunderstand what a "minimal install" means. It is supposed to be just the terminal (until you install and configure X and a desktop environment).

dzon65
January 11th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Finally got it to work! One thing though,the screen isn't spread well,it turns a bit towards the right.Tried resolution but it remains to the right.

Paqman
January 11th, 2010, 04:24 PM
This configuration looks ok.Was planning to use xfce but....Would your configuration run smoothly on 128mb ram 10G Hd.Firefox should run on 128mb,but how about the whole?

You'd probably be swapping to disk a lot on 128MB of RAM, so don't expect the system to be particularly snappy. The minimal Gnome desktop will take up about 80-100MB on it's own. As soon as you opened a browser window you'd be into swap space.

dzon65
January 11th, 2010, 05:21 PM
You'd probably be swapping to disk a lot on 128MB of RAM, so don't expect the system to be particularly snappy. The minimal Gnome desktop will take up about 80-100MB on it's own. As soon as you opened a browser window you'd be into swap space.

Well,installed xfce4 for now but I never really liked it,so,tommorow I'll get some ram,512mb (can't go higher on this) should do the trick.

Paqman
January 11th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Well,installed xfce4 for now but I never really liked it,so,tommorow I'll get some ram,512mb (can't go higher on this) should do the trick.

You should notice a huge improvement. Make sure you keep at least another 512MB swap partition though.

dzon65
January 11th, 2010, 08:15 PM
What would be a light replacement for totem?With some codec support.

nothingspecial
January 11th, 2010, 10:33 PM
mplayer.