PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] partitioning 2nd drive question

clay woodruff
January 11th, 2010, 07:30 AM
i have a second hard drive i want to add. my main drive has 9.10 installed. can i use the 9.10 disc to dump whatever is on the XP drive leaving me only a drive with windows xp on it. so i can boot to it if i want to use windows xp and if so will it delete any password/usernames associated with XP

talsemgeest
January 11th, 2010, 07:47 AM
i have a second hard drive i want to add. my main drive has 9.10 installed. can i use the 9.10 disc to dump whatever is on the XP drive leaving me only a drive with windows xp on it. so i can boot to it if i want to use windows xp and if so will it delete any password/usernames associated with XP
You can indeed. First, run
sudo fdisk -l to see what the device numbers are, then use dd to move the partition across. So, if the XP partition is /dev/sda2, and the new hard drive is /dev/sdb, you would run
sudo dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb Then you need to reinstall the XP bootloader to the second hard drive, so follow the XP instructions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

Also, it will not delete any usernames/passwords in windows xp.

clay woodruff
January 11th, 2010, 08:08 AM
i apologize the 2nd drive already has XP on it. i got the hard drive from a computer someone had thrown out. only when i boot to that drive i get the username password screen and i dont have that info. and i was hoping i could use the 9.10 disc to dump any of that info and whatever files might be there and leave me with a clean XP hard drive

talsemgeest
January 11th, 2010, 08:17 AM
You can access any of the files on the new hard drive, either from your existing ubuntu installation or from a live cd. If you need the password for the other drive, you could use ophcrack, there is a how-to here (http://lifehacker.com/232963/screenshot-tour-how-to-crack-a-windows-password-with-ophcrack-live-cd).

clay woodruff
January 11th, 2010, 12:28 PM
yeah i downloaded that and burned it to a disc but didnt do anything maybe it was a bad burn, try your link and i will see what happens

talsemgeest
January 11th, 2010, 04:18 PM
yeah i downloaded that and burned it to a disc but didnt do anything maybe it was a bad burn, try your link and i will see what happens
It is a bootable cd, you would need to boot it in the same way as the Ubuntu Live CD.