PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mplayer doesn't play files over the network?

Sugi
January 11th, 2010, 05:21 AM
How can I get mplayer to play files over the network? It seems like I am not the only one that wants this feature. Does anyone got a work around for this?

Thanks,
Sugi

andrew.46
January 11th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hi Sugi,

How can I get mplayer to play files over the network?

Which particular files are you trying to play?

Andrew

Sugi
January 11th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I want to play avis and mkv over the network.

Sugi

SlugSlug
January 11th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I found (with VLC i think) your best of copying the film to your desktop leave for a few secs and then play that file

just a work round I used for sftp

Sugi
January 11th, 2010, 05:59 PM
SlugSlug, Ya that's what I am doing now. :/ I am hoping on finding some kind of fix or a way to work around this without coping every single file to my desktop.

Though thanks for the tip,
Sugi

Loosewheel
January 11th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Hi Sugi,
Would an NFS share work for you? I export my media directory to the LAN with the /etc/exports file, and mount it on the client machines with /etc/fstab.
I've tried VLC streaming and that works but is a little bit to set up on both boxes....with NFS ya just click on a file.

Sugi
January 11th, 2010, 10:50 PM
NFS sounds really good actually, but one problem. The files that I want to play are on my remaining windows box. So my xp box will host the files and my ubuntu box will be the client. I have read some tutorials setting up nfs server on windows (and even linux box). It sounds a bit confusing on the windows end. Any tips guys?

Sugi

Loosewheel
January 12th, 2010, 04:47 AM
NFS sounds really good actually, but one problem. The files that I want to play are on my remaining windows box. So my xp box will host the files and my ubuntu box will be the client. I have read some tutorials setting up nfs server on windows (and even linux box). It sounds a bit confusing on the windows end. Any tips guys?

Sugi

What about 'Places'-> 'Connect to Server'-> 'Service Type = Windows Share'
and plugin the XP machine's IP Address? Does that get you there?
(Also take a look at 'man smbclient' in a console).

Sugi
January 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I think I have to setup something up on the Windows end, because if I enter the IP for the windows machine nothing happens.

Sugi

aeiah
January 12th, 2010, 05:42 PM
so is it that the files dont play properly, or that you havent got filesharing set up yet? if you're using windows you're best going down the samba route. there are many tutorials for ubuntu and samba on the net that should help you.

if you find your movies are stuttering and stopping when played over the network once you can actually access them, then you're best looking at mplayer streaming options and such. ive had no problems playing files normally with mplayer though over a network, but i dont do it regularly so i just do it over ssh

Sugi
January 13th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I got samba working. I use smb:// to mount share directories over the network, but I can't get mplayer to see them. I have had issues with totem shuttering and sometimes even stopping. I have even noticed some shuttering during playback of a local file as well.

Sugi