PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Motherboard upgrade - keep existing graphics card or switch to integrated graphics?

Spoofhound
January 10th, 2010, 11:59 PM
After 4 years running my current set up I'm about to upgrade my CPU/Mobo.
I'm currently running an old AMD Athlon 64 CPU but will move to a Phenom II X4. I'm currently looking at using this on a Gigabyte ga-ma785gmt-ud2h motherboard with onboard graphics.

I'm wondering whether it makes sense to switch to the integrated ATI HD4200 graphics on the new motherboard or keep my nvidia GT 6600 graphics card from my current set up.

The machine is generally used for photo editing incl. RAW file conversion and quite a bit of work in GIMP. Little or no gaming use and I'm currently running Karmic

I'm also a bit concerned about moving to the ATI graphics after reading many of the issues with drivers etc. - my nvidia card has been working fine for years.

Any advivce or opinions avout switching graphics platform greatly appreciated

HappyFeet
January 11th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Try the nvidia card and see how it works. If you don't game, it should not be a big deal. Plus, nvidia drivers seem to work better.

Btw, newer mobos generally use pci-e for video cards. Your card is not pci-e.

Spoofhound
January 11th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks - this was more or less where I was heading so if it works ok i'll probably keep it (it is a pci-e card by the way)