PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using MP3 as external drive

kaenlsp
January 10th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Hi there!
I've got a question: how can I format my Creative Zen Vision M and use it then as an external drive? I dont want to use it as an MP3 and as a hard drive, i want to remove everything from it and use its 30 gigs.
I'd rather format it into fat32, but could also deal with ext3

any help?
Thank you!

SecretCode
January 10th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I don't know if it's the same on the Vision M but on my (very old) Zen Micro, this can be done from the Zen menus: Extras > Removable Disk. Set the capacity (it might not let you use the entire device!). Formats as fat32.

kaenlsp
January 11th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I don't know if it's the same on the Vision M but on my (very old) Zen Micro, this can be done from the Zen menus: Extras > Removable Disk. Set the capacity (it might not let you use the entire device!). Formats as fat32.

That's the thing! It gives the same options, but u can only use part of it... isn't it the same with the Micro which, by the way, doesn't deserve that name...?

llawwehttam
January 11th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Have you tried using Gparted?

SecretCode
January 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM
My removable disk menu goes up to 4GB, out of a 5GB total capacity.

I suspect this option is the best you can get without custom firmware (which I doubt anyone has made).

kaenlsp
January 11th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Have you tried using Gparted?
Yes I have, as well as the Disk Utility installed by default in Karmic and my computer just doesn't recognize it as an external drive or sth similar giving me the opp to format it.
It mounts it as sth odd, something like a picture device...