PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Make my Ipod writeable?

Terwilliger
January 10th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I restored my Ipod nano on a MacOS and now my Linux box will have nothing to do with it. Oh, it will pull it up as a removable drive, but Banshee nor Songbird pretends there is not Ipod.
I have read it several times that all I have to do is link the unit up to a Windows box and there ya go, but, since I got rid of Windows in lieu of a much superior OS, I no longer have that option (the one and ONLY regret of getting rid of that poop of an OS).
Is there a way to square my Ipod with Ubuntu Linux only?

LuisGMarine
January 10th, 2010, 08:43 AM
If you are using ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) please follow the guide at the bottom of my signature to get applications like Banshee and Songbird to recognize your iPod.

As you might not already have heard, Songbird iPod support is in the crapper. It's not stable, and for me as of version (1.4.3) it doesn't work and jack up more things on the iPod. I seriously recommend banshee because at least they know what they are doing.

Let me know if the fix at the bottom of my signature helped you.

Terwilliger
January 10th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hoo-Ra! Banshee is now recognizing my Ipod! but now here's the rub...Banshee is telling me that it is mounted as read-only and that it can not restore my Ipod. Apparently the Banshee wiki is currently down r/t a hack attack, so I can't follow up with them.
Do you know of a way to get my unit mounted as read/write without mounting it to a Windows box?

LuisGMarine
January 10th, 2010, 10:43 PM
not sure about that one ... I never have owned an iPod that I formated through an apple computer just windows, sorry.

I "have" heard in the past that restarting the computer while the iPod is plugged in might fix some permission problems. Worth a try.

Terwilliger
January 11th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Well, I broke down and loaded up VIrtualbox and installed my copy of Windows, then formated it through itunes. It took a few hours to accomplish, but it's done and now I have my precious ipod back.
I would still like to know of a way to format my mp3 player through LInux, but I will have to do some digging...if it is possible at all.