PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can anyone successfully connect to wireless network with SSID broadcast disabled?

RSASKA
January 10th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Hello,

This is a follow-on from my previous post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1371580)

I have enabled SSID broadcast and now as soon as I boot up my Dell Inspiron 1545n, it connects to wireless in a matter of seconds. But I want to disable SSID broadcast. I'm sure someone with enough time and determination can break WPA2 encryption, and can spoof my MAC address.

Currently researching ways that my Ubuntu 9.04 can connect to a wireless network with the third layer of protection of having the SSID broadcast disabled.

Any recommendations?

efflandt
January 10th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Disabling SSID broadcast does not really add much to security, because it is included in the clear in any actual packets (encrypted or not), otherwise the AP would not know if you were talking to it or if it should ignore you. No SSID can also result in lag, because your client would not be able to tell if your AP is still up without communicating with it (which reveals its SSID anyway).

I limit my wireless range by having my wireless/modem/router in the basement, so the signal gets up throughout my 2 story home, but not much beyond its walls. I don't hardly get a signal on my front porch, so a wardriver would have to be in my driveway to get a signal.

RSASKA
January 10th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I limit my wireless range by having my wireless/modem/router in the basement, so the signal gets up throughout my 2 story home, but not much beyond its walls. I don't hardly get a signal on my front porch, so a wardriver would have to be in my driveway to get a signal.

I never thought of that...

In my particular case, I live in an apartment building and can clearly see my neighbors' wireless network - which means they can clearly see mine!

Is there anything else I can do to limit the range of my wireless such that it stays in my apartment only?

darthmob
January 10th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I'm sure someone with enough time and determination can break WPA2 encryption, and can spoof my MAC address.Why would someone do that? Especially if you have got neighbours with less secure networks.

Honestly, I would say try to get rid of your paranoia or use a cable instead.

RSASKA
January 10th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Why would someone do that? Especially if you have got neighbours with less secure networks.

People do malicious things for all sort of reason, whether for sheer thrill or financial gain (i.e. identity theft)

Honestly, I would say try to get rid of your paranoia or use a cable instead.

For usability around my home, I have to use wireless (that's a separate post for another time)

darthmob
January 10th, 2010, 01:13 PM
People do malicious things for all sort of reason, whether for sheer thrill or financial gain (i.e. identity theft)True. Nevertheless I think it's pretty unlikely something like that happens to you. I guess a better reason to hack someone's wireless is to simply gain access to the internet or private files.
The more people are living around the more likely it is that someone still uses WEP encryption or even no security measures at all (not that there is much difference :D). If I were to be looking for a WLAN to enter I would surely choose that one.

You may have a look if your router is supported by dd-wrt (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index). It can be tricky to set up but offers a wide variety of settings you would never imagine your router was capable of (as many default firmwares are rubbish :D).