PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ati drivers for Ati Radeon Xpress 200

Dynux
January 9th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Hi all, I have Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala with Ati Radeon Xpress 200 video card.
I tried to install the ati 9.3 proprietary drivers but the installer said that the system is not supported ( :| ) . I tried to install the Open Source drivers but I had a lot of problems.
Can anyone help me with the installation of the Open Source drivers? Thank you.

ajgreeny
January 9th, 2010, 09:41 PM
If you have uninstalled the proprietary drivers and restarted x, you should be running the OS driver, I think. Unfortunately the OS driver is not very friendly in 9.10 and causes problems with the display if using compiz, 24 bit colour and a resolution above 1024x768. You may be able to get a decent performance either by disabling compiz, using a lower resolution if yours is above 1024x768, or as in my case, by using 16 bit colour. There are still minor display artifacts with movie displays, so I have compiz-switch installed to turn compiz off with a single click when I need to.

I am still running 9.04 as my main OS, however, as it plays properly, and brilliantly, with my card and the open source driver. So far this is the one insurmountable problem I have with 9.10. I had hoped that updates would have fixed it, but so far, no such luck. I keep hoping, so I can then move over completely to 9.10, which apart from that problem is great!