PDA

View Full Version : Driver for USB osciloscope

phoenox
January 9th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I have a link instruments DSO 8500 osciloscope that I would like to get working in linux. Right now I have it working using virtualbox, but this is not ideal. I am considering writing a driver for it that will control the osciloscope and take the data from it, then send the data to gnuplot to be displayed.

I have some programming experience(mostly in c). Lately I have been doing a lot of PIC microcontroller programming. But I have never done anything with USB or taken on a project of this size. I would be willing to learn a new language if it makes this task easier, but I am really most comfortable programming in C.

I have been in contact with the manufacturer and asked for information about how the data is sent to and from the osciloscope. I do not know whether they will provide me with this or not.

So I am here today looking for resources, information and pointers to get me going in the right direction.

Zugzwang
January 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Here's something about writing new Linux USB drivers: http://matthias.vallentin.cc/2007/04/writing-a-linux-kernel-driver-for-an-unknown-usb-device/