PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't get online with Dial-up

ubuncha
January 9th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I'm having trouble getting online, and therefore getting software, codecs etc,
(I'm using another computer for this post) because the only option I have to connect to the web is through 56k dial-up modem, and this is apparently akward with ubuntu.

I'm currently trying to work out how to get Ubuntu to recognize my modem.

I have over-written Vista, which was previously on my laptop, although I did make recovery discs (though I really don't want to have to use them).
This is making it difficult for me to even find the model of my modem (it would involve reinstalling Vista and checking for the device under device manager, or Vista equivalent).

I was advised to download the "Official Ubuntu documentation", and that this had a 'how to' section regarding dial-up modems. I downloaded it and searched it and found nothing as such. I also have downloaded the Ubuntu pocket guide and found nothing on the topic in it either.

I can get online (via dial-up) on my XP machine, and also have USB storage sticks, can anyone help with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't wanna go back to Vista... Thanks!

Bartender
January 10th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Chances of getting the internal modem working? Slim to none.

An old USR external with a serial-to-USB adapter cable (I'm using a Sabrent but I'm sure there are others) will at least get you a workable solution as far as hardware. You need to pick an ISP that doesn't require any proprietary software.

ubuncha
January 10th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the reply Bartender.

Do you think that maybe this link could be useful?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto