PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Samba share listed twice under 'Removable Devices"

mikebeecham
January 8th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Hi there,

Since upgrading to Karmic, all my shares under 'Removable Devices' are listed twice...all was fine in Jaunty though, and I've done nothing to change them.

Would anyone have an idea how to resolve this.

In terms of what I see, there are all my shares with a white drive icon which, when clicked, do nothing. I then have all the same shares with a metal drive icon which open up the share when clicked.

I understand that the icons may look different, depending on what icon theme you're using, but the principal will remain the same.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Morbius1
January 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I'm lost. Could you explain a little more where you're seeing this "Removable Devices". In Nautilus? On the Desktop?

I'm not familiar with any "Removable Devices" and Samba. Is this a network share you're talking about or is this a locally installed external usb drive?

lavinog
January 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
A screenshot might be useful.

If you unmount all of the shares, and reconnect do you still get two shares listed?
You might need to purge your nautilus config files.

mikebeecham
January 8th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Hi guys,

I am seeing duplicates in both Nautilus, and if I go to Places > Removeable Media (Desktop).

These are folders that currently exist on my Apple Mac, and have been set up in my /etc/fstab to allow me access to the the shares.

I hope this helps.

Mike

lavinog
January 8th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Hi guys,

I am seeing duplicates in both Nautilus, and if I go to Places > Removeable Media (Desktop).

These are folders that currently exist on my Apple Mac, and have been set up in my /etc/fstab to allow me access to the the shares.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Are you sure you don't have duplicate entries in fstab?

Can you unmount the shares?
Maybe one is from fstab and the other is from gvfs which is automounting it for you.

mikebeecham
January 8th, 2010, 06:31 PM
lavinog,

You COULD be right, as I have gvfs installed. So, which would be the better way to go...remove the entries from my fstab, or uninstall gvfs?

lavinog
January 9th, 2010, 03:47 AM
don't uninstall gvfs because it is how you mount removable drives.
try removing the fstab entries. You can put them back in if it doesn't turn out he way you want.

mikebeecham
January 9th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Ok, I there were no duplicate entries in fstab....but I removed the ones that were in there.

Having saved fstab, umount -a, mount -a nothing appeared at all. All of my shares were missing.

I then added the entries back into fstab, saved the file, umount -a (just to make sure!!), mount -a and all my shares were back, complete with duplicates.

Very confusing!

SecretCode
January 9th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Although my Samba shares are fine, I have a similar situation with internal disk partitions that are mounted in fstab - some of them appear by disk label as well as by mount point name in the places menu.

The places menu looks like this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=142999&stc=1&d=1263034542
- the 'Files' and 'Data' items are the puzzling ones, and they don't have a hard disk icon; not sure what that icon represents. The 4 items above are the volume labels for various partitions. 'Files' is /dev/sda8 mounted at /media/Files, label 'F_Bulk(5)'; and 'Data' is /dev/sda7 mounted at /media/Data, label 'Data(4)'.

My fstab contains the following:

# ntfs partition "Data(4)", /dev/sda7
UUID=181C0FED1C0FC52A /media/Data ntfs-3g rw,users,umask=0000,auto 0 0
# ntfs partition "F_Bulk(5)", /dev/sda8
UUID=58542063542045DA /media/Files ntfs-3g rw,users,umask=0000,auto 0 0
# ntfs partition /dev/sda6
/dev/sda6 /media/sda6 ntfs-3g rw,users,umask=0000,auto 0 0
I don't automount sda1, but that still shows in the menu (label "XP1(1)").

On the other hand, sda6 is automounted, but it doesn't have the extra places menu entry. What's different about sda6? Not currently mounted by uuid, and the mount point name /media/sda6 is the same as the dev name /dev/sda6.

I'm not in any hurry to solve this, but mikebeecham, it might help if you post a capture of your menu and the contents of your fstab.

alecz20
February 23rd, 2010, 01:04 AM
Here is a screenshot of my duplicate entries:

Both "server" and "alex" are samba shares added in fstab so they are automatically mounted at boot. Their entries in fstab are identical, but only one is duplicated.

From the duplicated ones, one is mounted, and the other is un-mounted. If I try to mount the latter, I get an error message.

I have no idea where to start looking for solution.

Below is my fstab content:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda3
UUID=83d32761-7e35-4c46-b2cd-10bb24297d59 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro,relatime 0 1

# /dev/sda1
#UUID=B840C83C40C802DC /media/sda1 ntfs users,defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1

# /dev/sda4
UUID=6113ab50-2d8c-4cbd-aca4-0cc8883fd2f4 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0

# network shares added by alecz
//192.168.0.100/server /home/alex/lan/server/server cifs credentials=/home/alex/.smbcredentials,gid=alex,uid=alex,iocharset=utf8,f ile_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,unicode,users 0 0

//192.168.0.100/alex /home/alex/lan/server/alex cifs credentials=/home/alex/.smbcredentials,gid=alex,uid=alex,iocharset=utf8,f ile_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,unicode,users 0 0

#//192.168.0.100/Public /home/alex/gaga cifs noauto,users 0 0

JohnnyC35
March 5th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I'm actually having a similar issue with this also. I'm not using Samba, these are just external hard drives that I have. They show up duplicated in Places and Nautilus. I had thought I had found a fix in a previous thread, it referred to mount manager. I installed it but sadly I cannot read Russian, I didn't find an English version. Here is a copy of my fstab if it will help:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
UUID=2c929bc6-a715-4dc4-a4ee-aa05b6af0b3c / ext2 noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
UUID=523a4fea-32d2-4924-9c4f-ec6772557fb9 /home ext2 defaults,sync,noatime,nodiratime 0 1
UUID=60ce04eb-8dc4-430d-aaf7-0864ca65f1fe /media/Media1 xfs users,auto,sync,noatime,nodiratime,allocsize=384m 0 1
UUID=a2b357b5-700f-4409-b8ed-b4df99f1656e /media/Media2 xfs users,auto,sync,noatime,nodiratime,allocsize=384m 0 1
UUID=26c94f5c-0708-4031-be12-ece4f0815c90 /media/Media3 xfs users,auto,sync,noatime,nodiratime,allocsize=384m 0 1
UUID=4df339f3-1ef9-4516-9762-aad2f2d9160b /media/Media4 xfs users,noauto,sync,noatime,nodiratime,allocsize=384 m 0 1
UUID=14e63b39-c51b-466d-bb92-bcb956cd518e /media/Media5 xfs users,noauto,sync,noatime,nodiratime,allocsize=384 m 0 1
UUID=81ebbbd2-d799-4dd1-a59c-e3bfc090967c /media/Media6 xfs users,noauto,sync,noatime,nodiratime,allocsize=384 m 0 1One set of the Media drives I can open, the other comes up with this error:

mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /media/Media1 busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/sdb1 is already mounted on /media/Media1I tried renaming mtab and rebooting but that didn't seem to solve the issue.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

lavinog
March 5th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I'm actually having a similar issue with this also. I'm not using Samba, these are just external hard drives that I have. They show up duplicated in Places and Nautilus. I had thought I had found a fix in a previous thread, it referred to mount manager. I installed it but sadly I cannot read Russian, I didn't find an English version. Here is a copy of my fstab if it will help:

One set of the Media drives I can open, the other comes up with this error:
I tried renaming mtab and rebooting but that didn't seem to solve the issue.

don't rename mtab.
I would edit your fstab to remove all but the first two entries (the media mounts)
gvfs handles this automatically for external drives.

alecz20
March 11th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I think I found a solution for my case.

All I did was to un-mount the drives (from the desktop): Right-Click -> Unmount. This worked because of the parameter users for those mount-points.

After un-mounting, the duplicate disappeared. When re-mounting (using reboot) there were no more duplicates. Ho-ray!

I guess this glitch still qualifies as a bug in the bug reports.

orangesplotch
April 8th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I was having the same issue using sshfs in fstab to mount network drives. Came across this solution which worked for me:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sshfs-fuse/+bug/243298/comments/9

It's a bit redundant, but at least it gets rid of the double listing and allows the user to unmount the drive by right clicking on the desktop icon.

alecz20
April 11th, 2010, 06:23 AM
A follow-up for my solution:

The workaround I provided only works until the system is rebooted.

I have to entries in my /etc/fstab file, and they are completely identical with the exception of the network share, and the mount point.

Still, one appears twice in Computer, and places, but only one of the duplicates is mounted.

alecz20
April 17th, 2010, 07:04 AM

One set of the Media drives I can open, the other comes up with this error:
I tried renaming mtab and rebooting but that didn't seem to solve the issue.

I found that shares will appear twice if you use UUID instead of /dev/sdaX.

lavinog
April 17th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I found that shares will appear twice if you use UUID instead of /dev/sdaX.

That is interesting. Will you be moving to lucid soon. If so it would be good to know if this bug still exists.

alecz20
May 3rd, 2010, 04:36 AM
I am currently running 9.10 and I have noticed some strange behavior.

First of all this happens to only one of the two shares that I have mounted. Also, it's always the same share, the one with my own name.

If the share does not appear twice, in a few minutes I get the DBUS Error message, saying it couldn't connect to the share, and that's when the duplicate share appears.

If I stay with duplicate shares, the DBUS error message does not appear again, but if I remove the duplicate (by un-mounting and re-mounting) the DBUS error message appears again along with the duplicate.

This behavior starts to really annoy me, especially because this is a fresh install !!!

I have no idea why DBUS (whatever it is) tries to mount an already mounted share.

beumont2
June 3rd, 2010, 03:57 PM
I have the same problem! I have two samba shares on my server, one is password protected called "Private" the other one is open for everyone on the lan and its called "share". Only the Private share apperas twice in the menu. I have only one entry in fstab! Can anybody help me with this?

alecz20
June 3rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
In my case, both are password protected. However only one appears duplicated.

I could not find what the difference is that only one is duplicated.

On the server that serves the shares, there are two shares:

/home/alex -> appears duplicated no matter what
and
/home/share -> appears correctly

The only way to fix this is to use a program called PyNeighbourhood.

PROS:
This program can really do magic!
You don't need to be root to mount or unmount.
You don't get any duplicates.
The icons is the same as the local drives (hence no duplicates I guess)
It uses your password from the account, not stored as plaintext in some .smbcredentials file

CONS:
I does not mount/unmount at boot-up/shut-down.

I really wonder how PyNeighmbourhood does it, because fstab can't do it properly.

beumont2
June 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
I found a fix. :popcorn:

I have installed the package smbfs because it wasnt installed on 10.04 and now it works. It is depricated and I am still using CIFS to mount it thru fstab but the it helped.

beumont2
June 3rd, 2010, 04:42 PM
I think the problem is solved when you install just the package samba-common. The SMBFS dependencies shows this! I have to test this.

alecz20
June 3rd, 2010, 04:47 PM
I'll give it a try when i get home.

lapega
June 8th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have installed samba-common and the problem continues.

beumont2
June 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM
It works for me till now :)

I have installed the smbfs package.

alecz20
June 8th, 2010, 08:57 PM
smbfs was already the latest version on my system.

The strange thing is that this does not occur all the time, roughly about 80% of the time.

But always on the same share!
What is the thing with that share? Are home directories :evil:cursed:evil: in some way?

beumont2
June 8th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I would suggest to make a fresh install of 10.04, cant tell you why this happens :(

Siobhany
December 15th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I still had this problem after fresh 10.04 install.

alecz20
December 15th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Surely there must be a way to troubleshoot this.

Why is it that one particular share is listed twice and not the others?

Details:

Remote computer shares:
/home/alex - shared as alex-server
/home/share - shared as server

Client computer:
alex-server listed twice
server listed once.

Why the discrimination???

[yas]
February 20th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Hi all,
I found this issue again in Maverick (10.10), just trying to add shared folders through fstab gives me the same result (icon twice in "Places"). Reported in Bug #444500 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/444500)

I had installed smbfs and winbind for netbios names resolution (as indicated in MountWindowsSharesPermanently (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountWindowsSharesPermanently)) and the unmount settings order.

So I found a workaround, because mounting the shared folders manually using command-line worked well (without repeated icon), I put the commands in a script to be executed when my wireless network gets up.

I added 02mapdrives file in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/ giving it execution permissions, with the following content:

#!/bin/bash
if [ $1 == "wlan0" ] && [ $2 == "up" ] ; then
#mounting shared folders when wireless interface goes up
mount -t cifs \\\\server\\sharedfolder /media/sharedfolder -o users,noperm,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,uid=,gid=,file_mode =0777,dir_mode=0777
fi

(an idea adapted from a great post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1027192) from Colie (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=697649)=D>)

I didn't have the need to do anything about unmounting, seems that 10.10 is handling it correctly both in shutdown and in suspension modes.
Hope this helps someone else. ;)

DrTebi
January 27th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I realize this is an old post, but in case someone is still looking for a solution to remove the duplicate samba share entries in the filebrowser, the solution is simple: Add a forward-slash after the share name in fstab:

//server/share/ /home/john/server/share cifs [...]
# here--------^

'found this solution here: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=663140

Wild Man
January 27th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Hi, this is an old thread so it has been closed, please do not post in threads that are a year or more old, and thanks for sharing.