PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] transmission blocks firefox

hhall
January 7th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Everytime I use Transmission for torrent download, even if I only have a single torrent, my firefox is unable to access the internet. I assume this cannot be a bandwidth problem, so what is it. Does anyone have any idea?

Dysport
January 8th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Do other internet applications still work? (Skype, IM )
Bittorrent creates a heap of connections, too much some modems or routers so they freeze. Are other computers on your network also unable to connect while you use Transmission?

hhall
January 9th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Other programs tend to work, skype only intermittently, however. There are no other computers on the network. I also don't download lots of streams, in fact hardly ever more than 2 or 3.

Dysport
January 9th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Even if you download only one torrent, transmission opens a lot of connections to all the peers you are seeding to or leeching from. From your description I would say that the problem isn't Ubuntu but more probably your modem and/or router which struggles with that many connections.
Sometimes turning off the firewall or any other services that track or save each connection can help, plus I highly recommend to forward the port you set in transmission to your machine.
If nothing helps you may consider buying a new modem/router or use transmission only by night or while you're away.

hhall
January 9th, 2010, 02:28 PM
That would make sense, I gather. How do I find out the port?

Dysport
January 9th, 2010, 04:09 PM
You can set any port number you want in the transmission settings, I would recommend setting a high port (between 40000 and 60000) though.

The NAT port forwarding procedure differs from vendor to vendor, on this page (http://www.portforward.com/) you can find instructions for virtually any router on the market.