PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] where is password file in ubuntu?

vksingh
January 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Hi,

Can somebody tell me in which file in Ubuntu , the login passwords of all users is stored.

Thanks,

Vivek

lisati
January 7th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Why?

__p1n__
January 7th, 2010, 06:44 PM
In an ubuntu installation login password values are not stored in any file.

FuturePilot
January 7th, 2010, 06:47 PM
In an ubuntu installation login password values are not stored in any file.

Yes they are. How does it authenticate you then?

__p1n__
January 7th, 2010, 06:48 PM

Carefully reread my post.

FuturePilot
January 7th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Carefully reread my post.

Oh, you mean the plain text value?

__p1n__
January 7th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Oh, you mean the plain text value?

Which is what the OP asked for.

undecim
January 7th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Well, if you plan on trying to find out someone else's password, you are out of luck, because all the passwords are encrypted.

The encrypted passwords are stored in /etc/shadow, but you should never have to mess with it.

What exactly are you doing that you need the passwords? There are several tools built into Ubuntu for manipulating the password and shadow files.

FuturePilot
January 7th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Which is what the OP asked for.

Yes, now I understand.

doas777
January 7th, 2010, 06:55 PM
traditionally they are stored in /etc/passwd, but that file has not contained passwords for a very long time. more recently the passwords were stored in a file called /etc/shadow that was encrypted for security. there is no good way to find a users password in cleartext on a modern system.

doas777
January 7th, 2010, 07:00 PM
hash comparison. passwords are required to use non-reversible hashing, so that they cannot be broken (deciphered in plaintext).

so on password create, hash the passwd by a given mechanism, and store the hash.
when you put in your password, it is hashed against the same mechanism, and if it matches, you are ready to go, and the system does not need to know your actual password.

the only problem with this system is that you have to ensure that the incoming vector actually hashed the password, rather than just supplying an already compromised hash (pass-the-hash attacks).

running_rabbit07
January 7th, 2010, 07:35 PM
hash comparison. passwords are required to use non-reversible hashing, so that they cannot be broken (deciphered in plaintext).

so on password create, hash the passwd by a given mechanism, and store the hash.
when you put in your password, it is hashed against the same mechanism, and if it matches, you are ready to go, and the system does not need to know your actual password.

the only problem with this system is that you have to ensure that the incoming vector actually hashed the password, rather than just supplying an already compromised hash (pass-the-hash attacks).

All this talk about hash can't be good.:P Isn't technology grand?

__p1n__
January 7th, 2010, 08:27 PM
All this talk about hash can't be good.:P Isn't technology grand?

I don't do it often but when I do do it I love smoking hashes - the windows LM variety particularly.

doas777
January 7th, 2010, 08:28 PM
lolz

vksingh
January 8th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Hi,

Can anybody tell me, how to decrypt the password available in /etc/shadow file?

Thanks,

Vivek

vksingh
January 8th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Hi,

Can anybody tell me how to decrypt the password of users available in /etc/shadow file in Ubuntu?

Thanks,

Vivek

Agent ME
January 8th, 2010, 06:50 AM
It was already said above: It's not possible.

bodhi.zazen
January 8th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Hi,

Can anybody tell me how to decrypt the password of users available in /etc/shadow file in Ubuntu?

Thanks,

Vivek

It is possible, however, decrypting another person's password is not supported in these forums.