PDA

View Full Version : cms or php n mysql?

abhilashm86
January 7th, 2010, 06:25 AM
can anyone explain for an e-commerce or forums or portfolio which system is better? CMS or own coded php and mysql?

there are drupal and joomla as cms in opensource, my question is forums like ubuntuforums n many more use CMS of this kind or do they code php and mysql??

i'm confused a bit while reading a php/mysql book, whether nowadays forums, blog, portfolios will be done by coding php and using database from scratch or use CMS??

Hellkeepa
January 7th, 2010, 07:16 AM
HELLo!

What you're asking above, is comparable to what is better between English and a text editor. At least that's what I got the impression of by the title of the thread.
Your post was as bit more clear on this point, so I'm just going to ignore the title for now. :-P

Most of the time using a finished system is the way to go, no need to reinvent the wheel after all. Not to mention that it'd take weeks, or even months/years, to fully implement some of the systems.
One usually only writes code from scratch, when there is a very specific need that is to be filled, or when the existing solutions either are non-existant or not good enough.

Of course, for learning writing everything from scratch is the way to go. Just don't use it in production, as I can guarantee that the learning code will be buggy, slow and terribly insecure.

Happy codin'!

iMisspell
January 7th, 2010, 10:19 AM
What do you want to do ?
Are you asking whats best to use or whats best to learn how to code ?

All the software you have listed works great for a purpose, you just have to figure out whats best for you.

If your asking about coding; if you can code e-commerce or a forum, then you can code them all.

What are you asking ?

Whats best to use ?
- Depends on what you want to do

Whats best to code ?
- My opinion, MySQL first (layout/structure, queries across different tables...), then php - e-commerce, forums.

_

hessiess
January 7th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Use an existing CMS/MVC framework otherwise you will just end up reinventing wheels and producing messy unmaintainable code.

These forums are based on vBulletin.

abhilashm86
January 7th, 2010, 05:09 PM
yes i got the point behind cms, i was going though php/mysql bible.....

i'm not developing any website, just learning php n mysql for some mash ups with flex......
then got a doubt, i'd no clear idea whats power of cms!! untill i read about drupal and its usage!! thanks for all those replies:)

aklo
January 8th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Joomla is good and fairly easy just need to read tutorials on how to navigate about those menus and how each of the option works...but to edit anything it requires knowledge of mainly php and some mysql.

Sure everyone who knows css(must have good knowledge) can edit the style but when it comes to custom content plugin that you want to put or even a different version of pagination than is what is included in joomla, you got to know how to code/edit it. Or even write your own modules if there is no plugin available to do the job you want.

However for most case, as long as you know css you can do a joomla website.

s.fox
January 8th, 2010, 11:07 AM
i'm not developing any website, just learning php n mysql for some mash ups with flex

For learning purposes I would say avoid the CMS (for now) , get a basic understanding of php first. I personally think you would learn more in the long run.

-Silver Fox