PDA

View Full Version : alternative to cloud sites

belfasttim
January 5th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hi-- I do a lot of web dev work, and have used at least 3-4 hosts in the last couple years. I use a couple VPS "slices" on slicehost, which are excellent-- 100% reliable, very fast, etc. However, I wanted something a little simpler than a VPS (so I don't have to be a sysadmin and stay on top of security and patching) but that would be a little more robust than a shared host under cpanel or something.

I thought I'd found the answer with Rackspace Cloud Sites-- "robust, scalable, and with Rackspace fanatical support"-- well, it sucks, the thing is down all the time, support is mediocre and the cost is high.

Any ideas of alternatives? or am I stuck with a VPS solution?

Thanks

WitchCraft
January 6th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Set up a beowolf cluster yourself. (See debian FAQ).
Or what about using a load-balancing server?

belfasttim
January 6th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks witchcraft-- but I'm not sure that's a "simpler" solution than just using a hosted service!

WitchCraft
January 6th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I'm hosting my own sites myself.

I'm using tv cable, ISDN and multiple ADSL routers, joining them together (to get decent payable upload/download speed here in the service desert).
Fortunately, fiberoptics is coming now, unfortunately, where I am, completion is in 5 to 10 years.

It was a bit trouble finding a GOOD free DNS server, but after about an hour, I found one.