PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wireless problem

phoenixfire900
January 5th, 2010, 10:02 PM
hi i just installed ubuntu 9.10 and i added my 2WIRE512 router to the wireless networks and enabled it checked boxes that said detect automatically and available to all users. when i restart the computer it will not connect. i need fast response please!

bkratz
January 5th, 2010, 10:43 PM
hi i just installed ubuntu 9.10 and i added my 2WIRE512 router to the wireless networks and enabled it checked boxes that said detect automatically and available to all users. when i restart the computer it will not connect. i need fast response please!

Perhaps it is just me, but I don't really understand what you are asking (perhaps that is why no one has responded). Are the check boxes referred to on the wireless router or in the network manager function in Ubuntu.

If you go to Applications>>Accessories>>Terminal and type in
lspci -nn (that is LSPCI in lowercase) and at least we will know what wireless card you have, and a direction to proceed.

phoenixfire900
January 5th, 2010, 11:03 PM
i have broadcom 802.11g network adapter, broadcom netlink (TM) fast ethernet, and microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter. by the way i am dual booting with windows 7. I tried to look for drivers but it said i had no persistent drivers.

bkratz
January 5th, 2010, 11:17 PM
i have broadcom 802.11g network adapter, broadcom netlink (TM) fast ethernet, and microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter. by the way i am dual booting with windows 7. I tried to look for drivers but it said i had no persistent drivers.

Did the lspci command tell you which one you have, would have been in the format

BCM43XX (most likely)

phoenixfire900
January 5th, 2010, 11:18 PM
yes that is the one

bkratz
January 5th, 2010, 11:22 PM
yes that is the one

No, you need to fill in the XX! Like BCM4312

phoenixfire900
January 5th, 2010, 11:32 PM
good guess cause it is 4312

bkratz
January 5th, 2010, 11:40 PM
good guess cause it is 4312

You are in luck, there is a very good description of it's use here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1368699

phoenixfire900
January 5th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Thanks alot!!

bkratz
January 6th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks alot!!

If this works for you be sure and come back and let us know and also use the thread tools above to mark the thread [solved] in case it helps someone else.

phoenixfire900
January 6th, 2010, 12:04 AM
so it recognized my wireless and connected the only thing now is that firefox wont go to the internet

bkratz
January 6th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I assume that since you have a wired connection you have used Firefox on it so it is enabled and you don't have a check in "work-offline", also assuming that your AP has wireless turned on to accept connections, and that you have setup the connection correctly for the wireless. Are you using encryption? For now i would turn it off until we have a good connection.

Also in the terminal can you ping something, like google.

ping google.com

if so, can you ping by IP address

ping 74.125.95.105

Also please copy and paste the output of the following commands

sudo iwlist scan
sudo lshw -C network (that is LSHW in lowercase)

When you do the sudo iwlist scan command do you see your AP?

phoenixfire900
January 6th, 2010, 01:49 PM
i got it nevermind thanks anyways

bkratz
January 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Could you expand on what you found? Also mark the thread solved in the thread tools to help others.