{ printf("%dsec\n", sec++);
count = 0;
}

usleep(1000);
count += 1;
}
}

This program should print "%dsec" every 1 second
by looping 1000 microseconds for 1000 times.

But what happens is: it print every 4 seconds!!!.

From what I see, it takes longer than actual 1000 microseconds to execute usleep(1000).
So I try running usleep(1) for 1000 loop.
Surprisingly, it make no difference. Still print every 4 seconds.

Then I try running usleep(100000) for 10 loop.
It print almost every 1 second, but still longer than actual 1 second.

My question is: Why the delay accuracy is not correct?? and
How to solve it??

I run that program on other PC and it worked well.
This is other PC ubuntu info:
Distribution ID: Ubuntu
Distribution Release: 9.04
Distribution CodeName: jaunty
Distribution Description: "Ubuntu 9.04"

And this is other PC kernel info:
Kernel name: Linux
Kernel release: 2.6.28-17-generic
Kernel version: #58-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 1 18:57:07 UTC 2009

Any idea guys??

CptPicard
January 5th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Well, to begin with...

The usleep() function suspends execution of the calling process for (at least) usec microseconds. The
sleep may be lengthened slightly by any system activity or by the time spent processing the call or by
the granularity of system timers.

Is there "system activity" going on?

akvseiji
January 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Sorry I'm asking: what is "system activity"?

When I run the program using terminal, there are no other programs or applications open.

I found some info on internet:
There are HPET(High Precision Event Timer) in ACPI(Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) function in PC that will impact this accuracy of the sleep timer.

CptPicard
January 5th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Well, anything that might be running. :) There's a lot of stuff going on in the background.

The way you're doing it -- accumulating 1000x the error each second -- I wouldn't be surprised that the result is off. After all, usleep only guarantees you "at least" the amount of microseconds... being "accurate" would require some sort of real-time OS stuff, I suppose. But I would look into background processes or perhaps scheduling settings(?) if this works on some other box.

akvseiji
January 5th, 2010, 12:42 PM
-- accumulating 1000x the error each second -- I wouldn't be surprised that the result is off.

Well.. I was surprised because it doesn't happen in other PC..

I'm looping 1000x because I want to make a counter that count every 1 millisecond.
Or is there any other better way to do it??

I have tried using nanosleep(), but the result are just the same.

CptPicard
January 5th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I'm looping 1000x because I want to make a counter that count every 1 millisecond.
Or is there any other better way to do it??

Well, if it really has to count every millisecond, then no, but it seems to me that in this case something actually happens only every second...

dwhitney67
January 5th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Sorry I'm asking: what is "system activity"?

:roll:

When I run the program using terminal, there are no other programs or applications open.

There are many other programs running, including the terminal that you are using. Check your process statuses:

ps -ef

You may want to consider using the real-time timer. Here's some code that exercises it:

#include <signal.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <assert.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int count = 0;

void sigHandler(int signo)
{
if (signo == SIGRTMAX)
{
++count;
}
}

int main()
{
/* Setup the signal */
struct sigaction sigact;

sigemptyset(&sigact.sa_mask);

sigact.sa_flags = SA_SIGINFO;
sigact.sa_handler = sigHandler;

sigaction(SIGRTMAX, &sigact, 0);

/* Setup the timer */
struct sigevent sigev;

memset(&sigev, 0, sizeof(sigev));

sigev.sigev_notify = SIGEV_SIGNAL;
sigev.sigev_signo = SIGRTMAX;
sigev.sigev_value.sival_int = 1;

timer_t timer;

int rtn = timer_create(CLOCK_REALTIME, &sigev, &timer);
assert(rtn == 0);

/* start the timer */
struct itimerspec itimer = { {1, 0}, {1, 0} }; /* 1 sec time period, that we want repeated. */
rtn = timer_settime(timer, 0, &itimer, 0);
assert(rtn == 0);

while (count < 10)
{
sleep(10); /* this is interruptible by the timer */

printf("%d seconds have passed...\n", count);
}

return 0;
}

Hellkeepa
January 5th, 2010, 04:46 PM
HELLo!

Walking out on a limb here, but it almost sounds as if the user want to count how many ms a certain task takes to complete. Instead of adding the huge overhead of counting each and every ms individually, you should just take the end time minus the start time and have your answer.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with C to be able to give you a function that gives you the current time in ms, but you might be able to find something here:
http://bytes.com/topic/c/answers/219279-getting-time-milliseconds
(It's a very interestring conversation, if nothing else.)

Happy codin'!

dwhitney67
January 5th, 2010, 06:13 PM
HELLo!

Walking out on a limb here, but it almost sounds as if the user want to count how many ms a certain task takes to complete. Adding the huge overhead of counting each and every ms individually, you should just take the end time minus the start time and have your answer.

You might be correct; the OP did not really offer any insight as to what he is after.

To compute time-deltas with reasonable resolution, one can use gettimeofday(), before and after the critical section that needs to be measured.

Can+~
January 5th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Well, it all boils down what the OP wants to do. If he is fooling around with timers, then there's no problem.

On the other hand, if you (the OP) want to check the availability of a certain resource (say, a shared memory page), consider using signals and a more event-driven paradigm, POSIX provides quite a lot of tools for that, as using while..sleep is a type of busy-waiting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busy_waiting).

Arndt
January 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Well, it all boils down what the OP wants to do. If he is fooling around with timers, then there's no problem.

On the other hand, if you (the OP) want to check the availability of a certain resource (say, a shared memory page), consider using signals and a more event-driven paradigm, POSIX provides quite a lot of tools for that, as using while..sleep is a type of busy-waiting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busy_waiting).

I thought busy-waiting was refraining from sleeping, and repeatedly checking whatever you're waiting for.

CptPicard
January 6th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I thought busy-waiting was refraining from sleeping, and repeatedly checking whatever you're waiting for.

Well, polling with sleep is still active and... less busy :) It is always better to get signalled only when you need to.

akvseiji
March 5th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I think I found the reason for the delay problem.
It is due to the way that Ubuntu process the time.

See "man setitimer"
http://linux.die.net/man/2/setitimer

From the article, under “Bugs” section it stated

On Linux, timer values are represented in jiffies.
On Linux/x86 (where, since kernel 2.6.13,
the default jiffy is 0.004 seconds).

That’s why when I looping usleep(1000) for 1000 times, it delay 4 seconds, because 1000times x 0.004 = 4 seconds.

By default, Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is using kernel 2.6.4.

This is my understanding..
it is correct??

If yes, how we can fix this?