PDA

View Full Version : Intel's compiler cripples code on AMD and VIA chips

mmix
January 4th, 2010, 10:24 PM
This is the reason why intel cpu looks better than AMD/VIA

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1567108/intel-compiler-cripples-code-amd-via-chips

http://www.osnews.com/story/22683/Intel_Forced_to_Remove_Cripple_AMD_Function_from_C ompiler_

SunSpyda
January 4th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Doesn't surprise me. But then again, how many *actually use* Intel's own compiler? I thought the world was mostly using MS's compilers for Windows, or GCC for *nix.

mmix
January 4th, 2010, 11:02 PM
see the link of osnews.
intel is king of cpu world, their will is not fair in every way.

Doesn't surprise me. But then again, how many *actually use* Intel's own compiler? I thought the world was mostly using MS's compilers for Windows, or GCC for *nix.

In fact, Fog points out that even benchmarking programs are affected by this, up to a point where benchmark results can differ greatly depending on how a processor identifies itself. Ars found out that by changing the CPUID of a VIA Nano processor to AuthenticAMD you could increase performance in PCMark 2005's memory subsystem test by 10% - changing it to GenuineIntel yields a 47.4% performance improvement! There's more on that here [print version - the regular one won't load for me].

"If the vendor string says 'GenuineIntel' then it uses the optimal code path. If the CPU is not from Intel then, in most cases, it will run the slowest possible version of the code, even if the CPU is fully compatible with a better version."

Queue29
January 5th, 2010, 06:11 AM
If AMD and VIA want optimized code on their hardware they can write their own compilers.

Habbit
January 5th, 2010, 12:32 PM
If AMD and VIA want optimized code on their hardware they can write their own compilers.

The problem is not the Intel compiler not delivering the best possible optimizations for non-Intel processors, but the fact that it also failed to perform pretty generic optimizations (and sometimes even chose the _worst_ possible option) if the CPU did not identify itself as Intel.

CptPicard
January 5th, 2010, 12:42 PM
It is an interesting question on whether this is a matter of Intel putting their work into Intel-specific optimizations and not really working on the "generic optimizations" part of the compiler (which would be understandable), or actively, intentionally making it suck on non-Intel. In the latter case it's a bit like the Windows "problems" on DR DOS back in the day... :)

MadCow108
January 5th, 2010, 01:19 PM
how is worst possible option meant?
in my opinion that would be an infinite loop or something that takes very very long o_O
the formulation "worst" seems quite exaggerated

John Bean
January 5th, 2010, 01:43 PM
how is worst possible option meant?
in my opinion that would be an infinite loop or something that takes very very long o_O
the formulation "worst" seems quite exaggerated

An infinite loop will indeed take a very long time, no matter what the optimisation...

"Worst" can't be exaggerated. It is - by definition - the least optimal choice from a finite set of options. There's nothing worse than "worst" ;-)

cascade9
January 5th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Very lame Intel, but its not that hard to see why they did this....or why they thought they could get away with it.

It makes me wonder how much the intel compiler is used.