PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] tricky wireless setup question

Afterthought
January 4th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I have laptop using an intel express mobile 945 chipset, which has always required I install the wireless drivers by wired connection. I may not have that option this time around and am in need of info.

Is there any way to install these things through deb files or tarballs or something that I could get before installing, any way at all to do this without a wired connection being involved? The things I need are some "Broadcom BCM311" thing and "b43fwcutter" and I have no idea how to go about this.

Thanks, if any additional info is needed, I should be able to help more with other things than this, possibly.

bkratz
January 4th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I have laptop using an intel express mobile 945 chipset, which has always required I install the wireless drivers by wired connection. I may not have that option this time around and am in need of info.

Is there any way to install these things through deb files or tarballs or something that I could get before installing, any way at all to do this without a wired connection being involved? The things I need are some "Broadcom BCM311" thing and "b43fwcutter" and I have no idea how to go about this.

Thanks, if any additional info is needed, I should be able to help more with other things than this, possibly.

This tells you how to do it even if you don't have a wired connection

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1368699

adam814
January 4th, 2010, 10:21 PM
If those are just ubuntu packages you can always go to http://packages.ubuntu.com and get the right ones for your arch/release and put them on a USB drive.

If they're not ubuntu packages that will still work, but I don't know exactly where you'd get them.

Afterthought
January 5th, 2010, 02:28 AM
The link bkratz posted gave me all the info I needed to know. I've got my install wirelessly online again now, so thanks a ton! :)

bkratz
January 5th, 2010, 02:52 AM
The link bkratz posted gave me all the info I needed to know. I've got my install wirelessly online again now, so thanks a ton! :)

Congratulations!

Please go to the thread tools at the top of the page and mark as {solved} in case it helps someone else.