PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My internet keeps dropping randomly.

Cheater87
January 4th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit on an Asus laptop and the wireless connection disconnects randomly for a while and keeps searching for the signal. When it finds it I have to put in my WEP key again to get it to connect sometimes only once or sometimes 2 or 3 times. This is getting quite annoying. What can I do to stop this?

Cheater87
January 5th, 2010, 07:53 PM
bump

jonaskarlsson
January 5th, 2010, 07:56 PM
You could make it connect automatically, doesn't solve the problem but is not as inconvenient at least.

Cheater87
January 5th, 2010, 08:07 PM
It does connect automatically when I turn on the laptop. The problem is having it staying connected.

mvalenti
January 5th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Had that happen to me. It was an issue with cordless phones close to the same bandwidth. Try changing the router channels until it gets better. Hope this helps.

Cheater87
January 5th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I do have cordless phones down and upstairs so that might be it. How do I change the router channels?

Kevbert
January 5th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Please post the output of

iwconfig
as soon as you are connected. It may be signal strength (or interference as stated earlier). What is the make/manufacturer/model of the router that you are connecting to ? Can you connect to it via a cable (in order to change the channel) ?

Cheater87
January 5th, 2010, 08:48 PM
dan@dan-laptop:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"ZSRC3"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:18:01:F2:A5:D8
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:on
Link Quality=34/70 Signal level=-76 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

dan@dan-laptop:~$

shairozan
January 5th, 2010, 09:24 PM
What kind of router do you have? If it's a linksys you'll have to log into it and change it in the wireless settings. The RSM wireless band only has three channels that don't overlap, 1, 6, and 11.

I would recommend changing the router to use channel 1 and see if that helps anything. It'll rule out the phone interfering with the signal.

Cheater87
January 5th, 2010, 09:48 PM
*Knocks on wood* I have not had it disconnect today so far. ^_^ Its Verizon.

Kevbert
January 6th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Signal (link) quality seems a little poor. How far away is the Verizon router/source ? Are you using the PC in a different room ? If you can do it an external aerial for the wireless may help at either the router or PC end.
Take a look at this (http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Eforcity-2-pack-Wi-Fi-Wireless-Antenna-Router-Signal-Booster/4486174/product.html?cid=133635).

Cheater87
January 10th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I'm usually 2 rooms away when downstairs or upstairs in my room when it happens. I tried disconnecting the wireless phones from the receivers and that seemed to help a bit or maybe its just a coincidence. What if I aimed the antennae to the direction I am? Right now IIRC its to the right and i'm always to the left of it.

Cheater87
January 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Got 5 disconnections in a row last night. I looked up wireless signal dropping in Ubuntu 9.04 on google and it seems a pretty good amount of people have this and its a bug. I hope it gets fixed in the next release.