PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network connection preference

krishnamohan
January 4th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Hi...

In Network Manager, I have profiles called eth0 and eth1. eth1 is the one I use most often. Thus, I want it to be the default. But eth0 is the one that gets activated on login. How can I change this? I am posting this for the second time......

suseendran.rengabashyam
January 4th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hi,
You need to go to System->Preferences->Network Connections->Auto eth0->Edit and then uncheck "Connect Automatically".

Also make sure that you have checked "Connect Automatically" in Auto eth1.

tsucol11
January 6th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Hi,
You need to go to System->Preferences->Network Connections->Auto eth0->Edit and then uncheck "Connect Automatically".

Also make sure that you have checked "Connect Automatically" in Auto eth1.

Worked for me. eth0 is dedicated to XP while eth1 is dedicated to ubuntu 9.04

Brian

krishnamohan
January 9th, 2010, 10:49 AM
The problem is that, for eth0, the edit button is not working...I can edit eth1 though...dont know why it has become so..

As far as I can remember, eth0 connection could also be edited sometime back..dunno what happened..

Iowan
January 9th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I am posting this for the second time......A "bump" might have been adequate...
You may need to click on (highlight) the interface before it becomes editable. (Maybe you have already done that...)

krishnamohan
January 10th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Yes....for my other two connections, when I click on them, the three buttons add,edit and delete become active.....

For eth0, only the add button is active.....

krishnamohan
January 12th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Isn't there some way to do that by editing some configuration file somewhere or something?

Iowan
January 12th, 2010, 11:01 PM
For a quick and (very) dirty:
Add a line to /etc/network/interfaces that reads "auto eth0". Save file and restart/reboot (reboot might do better job of synching with Network Manager. It might make no difference whatsoever... or might work!

krishnamohan
January 13th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Okayyyy...that worked!! I added auto eth1 to the interfaces file.....thanks.....:D