PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] jre64 preventing all updates or installations

watchpocket
January 4th, 2010, 10:26 AM
When I try to update or install any software, I get this from Update Manager:

Exception:

CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Could not load file/URL specified: 1]
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)Wrapped Exception:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: 1 (No such file or directory)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescript or(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I'd really like to know what to do to fix this -- I can't update, upgrade, or install anything. Please help, thanks for any suggestions, tips, ideas.

thomasaaron
January 4th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Geesh! I've never seen Update Manager throw java errors! Those errors are given by the JRE, and they *seem* to be related to WebStart. But I'm not exactly sure yet.

Could you let me know *anything* you've done pertaining to Java? Have you installed a java base game? A little history...

watchpocket
January 4th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Sorry, those messages indeed weren't from Update Manager, but I did last night get an error from update manager -- I posted it in the Absolute Beginner Talk forum.

Well, after briefly running a 32-bit Firefox (mistakenly not from package manager), I finally got a 64-bit FF with 64-bit Flash and 64-bit Java up & running right.

Things seemed ok for quite awhile, then this in the last week. I have in System > Prefs > Sun Java 6 Plugin Control Panel and Sun Java 6 Policy Tool. FWIW, looking in Java Cache Viewer, in the Java Control Pasnel, I see I have an "Expired" Resource named LQApplet.jar, URL of http://cdn.pingtest.net/LQApplet.jar, modified Sep 25, 2009 and expired Dec 13, 2009, size 14 KB.

I havne't done any games (not a gamer), there is a Java applet I mainly use from my windows box at work to access my panix.com ISP shell,but I've ony brought that up a couple of times from home. . . .

thomasaaron
January 5th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Well, I don't see anything interesting online about the LQApplet.jar, and it's expiration date doesn't coincide with the problem. So, let's count that one out.

What version of Java does...

sudo update-alternatives --config java

...show you running?

watchpocket
January 5th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the reply -- I'll have that info tonight when I get home, when I also will go through this step-by-step remove-&-re-install guide http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java posted by Tom.Swartz07 in absolute beginner talk.

watchpocket
January 5th, 2010, 08:29 PM
What version of Java does...

sudo update-alternatives --config java

...show you running?

I've just gone through the removal-and-install steps at:
<http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java>
and installed the current java successfully, I think.

But to answer your question:

[rj-home:~] [v4.3.10] zsh 612 --> sudo update-alternatives --config java
zsh: correct java to .java ? ([Y]es [N]o [E]dit [A]bort) n
There are 1 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

Selection Path Priority Status
------------------------------------------------------------
0 /opt/java/64/jre1.6.0_17/bin/java 1 auto mode
* 1 /opt/java/64/jre1.6.0_17/bin/java 1 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice
, or type selection number: (I pressed enter. I gather that this java should remain in "manual mode" because I installed it manually.)

I just sucessfully downloaded the accessory "7zip" with no problems. Looks like the problem of my being unable to download software from repositories because of jre warnings has been solved.