PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow internet speed, help needed please :(

maxzero
January 4th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Hi, I just started using Ubuntu and I am having some trouble with the Internet speed. I have a 1Mbps DSL connection that does not require a username or password. But I only get a max speed of 23 KB/S on everything, synaptics, firefox, add/remove & so on. I have however tried System>Admin>Software Source method to check for the best server but that didn't work for me. So any kind of help in this matter would be appreciated. Thanks, please :sad:

lisati
January 5th, 2010, 08:58 AM
*bump*

teward
January 5th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Hi, I just started using Ubuntu and I am having some trouble with the Internet speed. I have a 1Mbps DSL connection that does not require a username or password. But I only get a max speed of 23 KB/S on everything, synaptics, firefox, add/remove & so on. I have however tried System>Admin>Software Source method to check for the best server but that didn't work for me. So any kind of help in this matter would be appreciated. Thanks, please :sad:

a 1Mbps DSL connection doesn't mean you'll get super fast speeds. I've got a 54Mbps fiber-optic connection where I am and I don't get more that 100KB/s on anything, except maybe torrents with about 50 sources to download from.

maxzero
January 5th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Well thanks guys...can't say I am delighted but I guess a reality check was needed. thanks again