PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] lspci says wireless controller disabled

james.wilde
January 3rd, 2010, 10:10 PM
Thought I posted this message about an hour ago, but can't find it in the forum.

I am installing 9.10 on an old Dell laptop. This machine has the built-in Dell wireless controller and a pcmcia d-link DWL-650+ card. The built-in controller has poor reception, so I prefer to use the d-link. This machine also runs XP where the d-link works fine.

On installation of Ubuntu 9.10 the opsys has not picked up the d-link card. This is what I get from lspci -v:

01:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11a/b/g (rev 03)
Subsystem: Dell Device 0003
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 5
Memory at fcffc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
Kernel modules: ssb

02:00.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 100 22Mbps Wireless Interface
Subsystem: D-Link System Inc Device 3b00
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
I/O ports at e000 [disabled] [size=32]
Memory at 28010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=4K]
Memory at 28000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=64K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2

As one can see, the card is visible to the system but is disabled. dmesg gives no mention of acx, texas or d-link. Is there any way I can enable the card before I start trying to make it work? I assume I have to enable it before I try to make it work.

Incidentally, the network device can't be seen under Devices in Network Tools. On the other hand, the built-in controller is there twice, once as Wireless Interface (wlan0) and once as Unknown interface (wmaster0). Can't get either of them to work.

TIA

//James

gordintoronto
January 4th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Did you find this web site:
http://acx100.sourceforge.net/

The card automatically powers down to a "doze" mode. Perhaps that is why it's disabled.

The manufacturer's web site is:
http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=DWL-650%2b