PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error when editing/saving an XP file from Karmic Using gedit

wdavro
January 3rd, 2010, 03:28 AM
I have a new install of Karmic (not an upgrade) on my home network. All the other machines are XP sp2 or sp3. I have the following line in /etc/fstab:

//desktop/ddrive /home/dram/aDesktop-D cifs credentials=/etc/credentials.dt,nobrl,uid=1001,gid=1001 0 0
Where; desktop is an XP sp2 system; /home/dram is my Karmic home folder; 1001 is my Karmic uid and gid.

I can copy files just fine from one to the other. however, if I open gedit on the Karmic system and then have gedit edit a file on the XP system, when I save the changes I get a red box at the top of the gedit window that says:

Could not find the file /home/dram/aDesktop-D/TEST.TXT.
Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.
But in fact, a backup file has been created and the file changes have been saved to the original file.

Though I'm very new to Ubuntu, I don't remember having this problem when I was on Jaunty for the couple months I had it (the Seagate 1TB drive failed after 2 months, so I got a new one and installed Karmic instead of Jaunty).

Is this expected behavior for Karmic? Or have I got something configured incorrectly?

Thanks,

falconindy
January 3rd, 2010, 06:29 AM
What happens if you use the IP instead of the netBIOS name in the fstab entry?

dc45
February 3rd, 2010, 10:10 PM
I too am having the exact same problem. I tried mounting using the IP address instead of the hostname as suggested by falconindy and am still receiving the same error. Any other ideas?